1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique The Dark Ages

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by brian, Jul 27, 2012.

1. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Just finished this 54mm figure and as usual i've seen a couple of wee things needed done.Bloody hate digital cameras!!!!
    Might start a bust next as the eyes can't handle too many of these wee fellows.
    Brian
    DSC05338-001.JPG
    Tommi, Kisifer, Mariner and 12 others like this.
  2. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well done Brian! The shield looks great. Nice gradient. What did you use for the metals on the helmet and armor?
  3. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    You have my sympathy - both about the bloody eye-sight and the bloody cameras that show up every little mistake!

I've come more and more to prefer photos that give the 'general impression' that pleases my poor old eyes - and I do like a bit of dramatic lighting. Give me atmosphere rather than precision (but maybe that's cos my painting can't stand up to too much scrutiny). Still it's frustrating sometimes that the product of your efforts, at least in cyberworld, depends on how good a pic you can take.

That said: your figure looks good to me; effective sombre tones and really icy looking snow (y)
  4. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    top work sir.
  5. Don Well-Known Member

Superb job Brian, love what you have done with the armour and shield. Snow looks good and I love the axe. Didnt see it properly (the axe) till I blew it up so please dont complain too much about digital.
    I thought you went back to 54s for your eyesight?

Don
  6. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Very nicely finished
  7. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Mike
    Printers ink and mixes of ivory black and burnt umber.
    Brian
  8. Sergey Popovichenko A Fixture

Ukraine
    Thanks, it was nice to look at your work! Muted colors, qualitatively worked parts!
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I always like your Medieval figures. They are always a pleasure for the eyes.
    This one is no exception.
    Perfect work.

Marc
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Really nice paintwork Brian. Love the sombre tones. It looks very period.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  11. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks lads for your comments,much appreciated.I've always painted in muted tones it's just the style i prefer.It seems that the arty loud painted figures are the main style nowadays which are beautiful to look at but not too realistic IMHO.
    Brian
    Helm likes this.
  12. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Another one chalked up mate. I wouldn't despair on these guys size, you still have the knack!
    Actually I like the expression in the eyes & that quirky beard which does look all tangled & matted.

Keep 'em coming Brian, it's a pleasure to see each of your projects & your output is impressive at present.

Stay safe,

Mike
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Wow!!!
    Very, very nice. The whole paint job is so well integretated.
    Great job!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Brian,
    Very nicely done and great colours.
    Cheers
    John
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely piece of work Brian.
    Carl.(y)
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Fantastic painting Brian. Love the concept of a lost Legionaire. Beautifully executed.
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks great to me Brian I too prefer muted colours and a bit of grime on a figure as a rule

Steve
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work brian,i know what you mean about your eyes:inpain: as i have the same problem with smaller figures,(y)

Brian
  19. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent job Brian, I like your muted style which suites the older periods better I think.
    This figure reminds me of the film `The eagle` where at the end some old survivors of the 9th Legion come out and reform as legionaries after living as locals for many years bringing along their old armour and shields but sporting beards and long hair.
    Who produces the kit ?

Cheers

Steve
    Helm likes this.
  20. Elaphus Active Member

Germany
    Very very great, i like it absolutly !!!!!:woot::)

Lovely piece of work