The Daimyo

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Brandy Small, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Brandy Small New Member

Here is a project I have kept in the shadows for to long. I finally decided to break it out and have a little fun.

[IMG]
  2. Brandy Small New Member

I decided to start on the arm guards first.
    [IMG]
    I already cleaned the piece up and have put down a white base. Here is a picture of what I want it to look like.
    [IMG]

Here are progressive shots of the steps I took.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I decided to make the shield with the purple tones, it isn't done yet, but just to give an idea.
    [IMG]
  3. Brandy Small New Member

I decided to work upwards to the sleeve. To make it resemble silk I used a Pactra Blue Metallic as a base and airbrushed over with a semi transparent Model Master CheZoom Teal Pearl. I like the effect so far. I dull coated for the moment to make it easier to paint detail.
    [IMG]
    The blue pattern second from the left is my goal for the blue/green part of the shirt.
    [IMG]
    Here is the beginning of the painted pattern.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Brandy!

That is looking really good! I love how you painted the pattern, these Samurai subjects are really appealing, with all these patterns and colors. Great job so far and Im looking forward to the next installment!
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Brandy,
    I like the patterns you chose,looking good.

Roc. :)
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Brandy,
    I like the patterns you chose,looking good.

Roc. :)
  7. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Brandy,EXCELLENT JOB on the patterns so far (y) (y) ;do keep up the good work and post more soon.Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  8. y_wong New Member

Dear Brandy,

Very meticulous paint job. Looking forward to the rest of it.

regards :lol:
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking Beautiful Brandy..........look forward to your next step!
  10. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Brandy, you found "the secret" again.

Having Fun!

I think we all get too involved in a project sooner or later and we all probably do it more than we should. The best result we get are when we relax and just have fun. I think this looks fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing this completed (and in person ;) , you better bring it to Ky.)

Jim Patrick
  11. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Nice work so far Brandy. The patterns look exceptionally well done.
  12. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Brandy
    Your work so far is looking terrific
    I look forward to seeing more as you progress.

Frank (y) (y)
  13. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brandy

Looking good so far! Continue posting your progress.....might encourage me to start mine, or maybe even Tomoe Gozen!

:)

Rob
  14. Lepman New Member

Fantastic brush work. I have this fig. and was holding off. This will provide a boot to get me going. Brandy could you explain a bit more on how you achieved the silk-like effect. What is Pactra blue Metallic and MM Chezoom Teal Pearl? Very well done.
  15. Brandy Small New Member

Testors used to make Pactra paints. One type was for R/C Cars called "Racing Finish” the color is RC93 - True Blue Pearl. I don't know if they still sell it, but any deep metallic blue (acrylic) should work. I basically took the blue and brush painted it on in a patch like manner (big splash here and there). I then took Testers - Model Masters "Colors by Boyd" Series..... No. 52703 CheZoom Teal Pearl, which averages out to a deep metallic teal colored paint and thinned it till it sprayed semi-transparent. I covered the sleeve and collar. Due to the inconsistent dark blue base and the transparent cover it makes the paint resemble the shimmer of silk.
    I wasn't sure it was going to work, but it turned out wonderfully. I dull coated it for the moment to paint the detail in. When I am finished I will add the gloss back.
  16. Brandy Small New Member

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It helps promote me to finish it sooner. I will hopefully get back to the modeling table and back to work soon. Once again I really appreicate all the great encouraging words.

Sincerely,
    Brandy
  17. Brandy Small New Member

Here is his face with completed skin tones. I use oil paints.
    [IMG][IMG]

I decided to start his hair with oils and finish later with a bottle paint. This way I can blend his hair and skin line together.
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]

Please excuse the shine, the paint is still a little wet, it will take about three days to dry, and the color may vary slightly.
  18. Brandy Small New Member

I also got a little further on his sleeve and I added the detail and top chest plate and shoulder guards. I must say these daisy style flowers and leaves seem to be taking forever, hopefully I will finish before I die. ;)
    [IMG]
  19. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    AWESOME,Brandy,AWESOME (y) (y) (y) !! Keep up the good work and LOOKING FORWARD to seeing the progress of the bust ! Cheers.
    Kenneth.
  20. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Brandy

I am looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Robin