1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Daimyo (Samurai Warlord)

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by WPS, Apr 28, 2009.

1. WPS Member

Netherlands
    One moment you're down the next....Model in a bag with Muscle oven-cleaner, next morning a good brushing, new base coat sprayed on with my new Harder and Steenbeck Infinity airbrush, while doing this tried a light pre-shading, dry-time accelerated in a oven, slapping on paint from 19.00 to 22.00 (some drinks in between) and ... in my opinion a better result than before.
    I will take some pictures in daylight tomorrow for a better view on the colours and tones. (the orange veil is the reflection of the colour of our walls)

pictures taken and here they are...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Willem
  2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Willem,
    like the rework.

looking forward to see the next stage.:D

cheers
  3. Ryder New Member

United-States
    Yes you were right, it looks much better without the orange cast. I would not have thought it would change so much. Second repaint is wonderful.:cool:
  4. quang Active Member

Belgium
    New tones are spot on. Well worth the reworking.

Incidentally, the bust was loosely based on Toshiro Mifune character in Kurosawa's film Throne of Blood.

[IMG] [IMG]

HTH
    Quang
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    You done it Willem. And it worked out excellent. I like this more then the previous colors.

Marc
  6. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Thanks guys, these pics show all the little spots that one can't really see unless magnified.
    I've tried to paint the blade of the katana and think I've got it.
    I also did some searching for "Kamon" or family crest, the swastika on his armour suggests him to be a member of the Hachisuka (Oda, Toyotomi retainer family) but for this the circle around it is missing.

[IMG]

I think I'll add the circle and give him silk-print sleeves with the Oda crests (left arm) making him a highly respected ally.
    He'll be called Hachisuka Iemasa (Hikoemon) 1558 / 1638, titles : Awa No Kami

groeten, Willem
  7. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Here's a picture of the Katana with the Hamon sprayed on.
    I used Humbrol silver as a backing and sprayed the Alclad II Steel over it in several thin layers.
    The effect is stunning and I can recommend Alclad to anyone using an airbrush.
    The only downside to this paint is the fact you can't brush it on.
    The hamon looks to be swooping down in the middle section but this is due to the light, I tried other settings but then the line isn't visible.

[IMG]

Willem
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Willem,
    EXPLAIN please> What is Alclad and is it acrylic or oilpaint. Is it the same as Mr Metal from Gunze-Sangyo??
    Never heard about it.

marc
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Willem just caught up with this post and i am enjoying watching what you do with this bust.

Steve
  10. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great work sofar Willem!
    Looking forward to your next step.

Marcel.
  11. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Marc: Alclad is a hobby paint developed to reproduce natural metal finishes on aircraft models. A bit like Mr. Metal, only with much finer texture. It can only be applied by airbrush.

HTH
    Quang
  12. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Marc, If I'm right this paint is laquer based. It's already thinned so one can use it immediately (after shaking well) by airbrush. After several thin coates you're able to polish it.

Willem
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Quang and Willem.
    It's almost the same, only you must airbrush Alclad and brush Mr.Metal.

marc
  14. WPS Member

Netherlands
    So... just recovered from a nice weekend filled with modelling (club meeting on satuday and the National meeting on sunday) and managed to keep my spendings on a explanable level (to Miranda).
    I also managed to get some (pre) colors on the Daimyo.
    The mon (family crest) on his right arm is done by the use of a template and sprayed on (on the easy parts) the ones in and around the folds are done by hand, to get them to "blend" together I used oils.
    This also gives a nice satin shine to it.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Hope you like it,

Willem
  15. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice Willem very nice.

like how you tackled the Mon, did you make your own template?

The slight satin sheen to the sleeves looks good, flesh tones look good also.

Fingernails; are these still pending? just its lack is visible on the thumb, is all..

lad you were able to convince Miranda this time:);)

thanks for sharing

Cheers
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This one is getting better and better.
    How you made the template's???

marc
  17. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Jamie and Marc, thanks for the comments, I cut the mon from low-tack Friskfilm (used by airbrushers) and was able to use it several times.
    Yep, the nails are to be done in a latter stage, Jamie, as most small details.
    The head, arm and sword are still removable for ease of painting (and protection against contamination)

Willem
  18. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    This is going really nice !!! I like it and will follow till the end ! Bravo

Costas
  19. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Willem, amazing detail work, excellent research and another 'how to do' SBS. Always great to follow.
    Many thanks for sharing.

Cheers Ken
  20. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Willem,

I can tell from experience that it was not all too easy to position the stencil(s) on such a 'tormented terrain' ;). BUT you pulled it off admirably. It's a neat and precise job. Furthermore the colours are well chosen and look very authentic.

Looking forward to the next step :)

Quang