1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"The Celts" - New Vigniette - Pics

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Major_Goose, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hello guys, as the May International Competition in thens comes fast - less thana month - my achine is speeding up.

This is my latest work, a vigniette , with the 2 Celts from SEIL MODELS, sculpted by babis Stathis member aka "aiantas"

All painted in Valejo acrylics.

I just hope you like it

All comments welcome

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
  3. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    That's surely an amazing piece of vign my friend Costas, great groundwork as always. Your painting is top notch, very neat with nice contrasts. I can't wait to see it live in Athens. One more month to go :)

Xenofon
  4. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    The painting is well executed as always Costas. The whole composition, with the trees grown around the cross, is very effective and makes this an eye-grabber.
    Good sculpting too from Babis.
  5. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Wow Costas
    Beautiful realization compliments one the scene.
    And the painting is much good one appeals to me more the Celta with fur.
    And beautiful to see to progress your technique.

MAB :)
  6. aiantas Active Member

Greece
    excellent costas.i am very proud from your work,the groundwork is fantastic,congratulations my friend...
  7. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Xenofon ,Maurizio,Dave and Babis, thanks a lot for your comments and encouragement . these figures are a pleasure to paint .

Though they need to recreate several different textures and colors , and some areas of flesh , they are challenging for a nice result .

Thanks Babis for the nice sculptures
  8. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    great work what kind of paint do you use for fleshtone oils or acrylis??
  9. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Damian Hi ! Its all in Valejo acrylics. Only some oils and printers inks for metallic parts
  10. DarioZ Member

Excellent work Costas with both figures ,the base looks great also . (y)

Darek
  11. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks Darius . I appreciate that
  12. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Costas,
    looking really good! The figs look great and thier colors are a nice contrast to the groundwork. I love the trees grown up around the cross in the back! Good stuff!

Jay H.
    OKC
  13. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks jay . I tried to do an interesting background on these guys, as they triggered me to do so once painted .
  14. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi Costas!

Nice paintwork, you have developed a lot since the last work from youve that Ive seen.

Just wondering about the celtic cross though, were this kind of cross around for this period? Although Im not an expert on celts but sure loves the subject, Ive always had the impression this kind of cross were of early christian origin?

Cheers
  15. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Dear Janne . Thanks for your comments

I had the same curiosity myself , when i started searching for this before i make the base as i had it in mind

So some information on one of the many sites related

"The Celtic cross (Ionic cross) has it's roots in a pre-Christian variation of the Solar cross. Examples of the Celtic cross date back as far as 5000 years BCE. Its origins are not known, but it was known to be an early symbol of the sun god Taranis.

After the conversion of the Celtic people to Christianity, the Celtic Cross became an emblem of the Celtic Christian Church. Irish legend holds that the cross was introduced to Ireland by St. Columba, so it is sometimes referred to as Columba's cross, or the Ionic cross, after his monastery on the isle of Iona."

from

Celtic Cross Info

So i guess its covered to put it here .

Greetings to Scandinavia
  16. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thanks for your answer Costas!

Let me state that this is a subject Im not sure upon.

After reading your answer, checking your links and doing some searches myself on the internet I must say that my conclusion is that the form of the cross on your vignette is from the 7th century and located to the british islands.

However it derivates from the sun-wheel that has been adopted by many cultures and still is, not to mention the nazis. On the other hand this form lacks the long leg which also acts as a stand.

Heres what Wikipedia says:
    Wikipedia search

Cheers
  17. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    I have searched many sources my friend and not all the information is the same all over . But iguess i can use artistic license tomake a good looking scene !!!!

Thanks for helping out
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Costas - Gorgeous painting - as always! The cross surrounded by the trees is an inspired choice! Love it!

All the best,
    Dan
  19. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Of course you can use artistic license, Costas! :)

But this topic made me curius for my own benefit.

Cheers
  20. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks Dan for your compliments, Ihave always beenclose toNature,so i guess i have torespect her wheni try torecreate it in miniatures . Iusually go by instict and that works .