1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Cavalier 120mm PiliPili figure

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DaveCox, Apr 27, 2006.

1. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    My latest piece, hope you like it! As usual it's painted in oils over acrylics.
    On this one I can definitely say that any shine is down to the lighting, the paint is matt!!

Attached Files:

2. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    And another view

Attached Files:

3. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    And another view

Attached Files:

4. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    And finally

Attached Files:

5. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I have like this figgie since I saw it on the cover of HM some time ago. Lotsa different texture and color options for this one.

This looks real good to me Dave! You sure are a fast painter. ;)

I like the leather boots. What's your mix?

Keith
  6. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Keith - that was quick - I've only just posted it!. Thanks for the compliments, I've had my eye on this one since it was first released too, and just had to give in and paint it! The boots were undercoated in Vallejo US Field Drab, and then painted with Raw Sienna/Venetian Red mixed about 50/50. After drying for about 2 hours I used a tissue to wipe the paint off of the highlights.
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice one Dave, lovely colours.

Roger.
  8. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Roger. I'm not so keen on the face on this one, but overall I'm happy with the result.
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Dave. When you say you're not that happy with the face, what is it you mean exactly. Please let us know. Whatever you think the problem is, I have most probably had it myself ;)
  10. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Dave
    Compliment it has made a good job.

MAU :)
  11. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Anthony,

I thought at first that the face was a little small for the body, but later I came to the conclusion that it looks that way because of the large amount of hair!
    When painted itappears flat in the cheeks with very deepset eys. I know that there are people with faces like that, it just doesn't look that good in the photos.
  12. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks also for the compliments Maurizio,

When an artist of your talent compliments my work, then I know it must be good to look at!
  13. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello again Dave, yes it could be the photography. This can alter the appearance of a figure without a doubt. Stuff normally looks better in the flesh. Photography can be quite unforgiving. Keep up the good work mate ;)
  14. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Dave nice work . youhave a continuus improvement as you paint a lot lately and that surely helps . Things i would give a second thinking on the figure :

1. More contrasted painting on the base stone piece ,especially more shading tothe inner sides

2.At the distanceyouhave picturedhim , face seems tobe more whitish than may be needed. And maybe some more degrading of the shadows wold help to give a more variable result.

3.The upper area of the wrest arm seems to be uniformly colored , soit couldhave some more degrade of toning

Shining doesnt help a lot to cast more detailed opinion, but since you do good works lately, i thinkwe mayhave tobe more precise in our commentation to help youlift even more higher.

Keep Safe mate

Costas
  15. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Costas, I value your opinions.

I think that the face may be a little pale, but I painted this figure with the English civil war in mind - the Cavaliers were the Royalist cavalry of the time. They were the rich playboys who could afford their own clothes, horses etc; so this man would have led a sheltered existence and not got tanned or weathered - hence a paler face than I would usually paint.Not good for photography.
    I am still working on the lighting for my photos - I am now using two lights with diffusers to avoid the bright highlights I was getting before, but they are still too bright and some detail is getting washed out from the images.
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dave,

You are improving with every figure. I think the lightning of the figure is the problem with the pale face.
    Try to make some new pic's and post them again.

Marc
  17. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Good job Dave!
  18. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys! (y)
  19. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
    Nice painting Dave, I have don this figure myself and it is a great piese from PiliPili

(y) Peter
  20. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Dave,

As you've rightly observed, the washed-out colours are clearly the result of poor photography rather than an indication of the quality of the painting. Another clue is the absence of detail in both the stark white highlights and the almost black shadows.

The cause for all this? Bad lighting. Try moving your light sources further away from the subject. In general, I put the farthest light overhead for the ambient lighting and another one to one side and closer to the figure to spice up the highlights.

And of course, the large hat can be a problem because of the shadow it casts (but then, that's what hats are for, aren't they? ;) ). Try using a piece of white card as a reflector. Position the reflector at the foot of the subject to light up the darkest shadows.

On the other hand, I like the pale skin and I applaud your reasoning and your observation as it obviously contributes to the realism of the result. (y) (y)

HTH

Quang