1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique "The Burial of John Smith", Oniria Miniatures, 36mm metal

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by KenBoyle, Dec 17, 2020.

1. MacCoy Active Member

Finland
    Looking good :)
    Very interesting subject, i will follow your project with interest.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  2. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I will be ordering this one after the holidays, so I will be following your SBS closely Ken. I like your idea of adding the coffin. Wish I had thought of it, but won't stop me from borrowing your idea. Have a happy holiday.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  3. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

The efficient troopers shoveled the pile of soil just far enough away (off my base) to allow the burial service to take place. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :);)
    Richie, Graham and franck edet like this.
  4. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks! I appreciate the interest.
  5. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Mike! Once I saw a brief glimpse of a coffin in the movie as the flag is placed on it, I knew I had to add it. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
  6. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well, the base is finished except for minor tweaks when the figures are added.

I also want to apologise for the photo quality as, during work on the base, I'm using my phone camera. I'll go back to my normal camera and light box for the individual figures and the final shots.

The base was undercoated in my "Western" colors which are basically 2 parts Vallejo Yellow Ochre to 1 part Vallejo Light Brown and then lightly dry brushed with White added. The complete base is then washed with Citadel Earthshade (wash/shade) to tone down the colors and highlight the textures.

Now I add sand/gravel to the base in various spots using Mod Podge Matte sealer as glue (make sure it's the Matte version as the original version dries glossy). This sealer comes in a bottle and is brushed on. I do one spot at a time until I'm happy with the result. Once dry, I apply Citadel Sepia (wash/shade) to the sand areas only. Personally, I don't dry brush the sand as the Sepia pulls it all together but doesn't hide the natural colors of the sand. Finally, I add some static grass and Grass tufts to the base again using Mod Podge.

I use these techniques on most of my groundwork, although the undercoat varies depending on where the scene is taking place.

The coffin was built by the Troopers from wood found at the site and I painted it to represent old weathered wood. The coffin in the movie is barely seen and appears to be roughly put together in more of a box form. I went for the coffin shape to make things more obvious. I also added the ropes on the ground that will be used to lower the coffin once the burial service is finished.

That's it for now. I'll be back with the first painted figure and continue from there.

Thanks for looking,
    Ken

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    MacCoy, Nap, Lissorles and 3 others like this.
  7. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Base looks great!
    KenBoyle likes this.
  8. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Scott! I'm looking forward to figures instead of pins now that the base is done.;)

Cheers,
    Ken
  9. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Nice job, it looks great. Can't wait to see the finish.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  10. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Rick! I'm about to post the first figure with the rest to follow (hopefully) over the next couple days. :)
  11. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Ok, first figure. I decided to work from the back forward, so Captain Nathan Brittles (John Wayne) becomes the first painted. Sculpting a likeness of John Wayne in 36mm can be tricky and I'm not sure my paint job provides any help in reinforcing that likeness. However, I'm not unhappy with the result and look forward to seeing all five figures on the base.

The figure was painted entirely in acrylics as usual for me.

I'd like to get the rest of the figures painted and the vignette completed before Christmas eve when my attention will be refocused for several days. We'll see...

Again, thanks for following,
    Ken
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    oniria, DaddyO, Viking Bob and 4 others like this.
  12. Graham A Fixture

England
    Very nicely done. Love your painting style.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  13. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Graham! Much appreciated. :)
  14. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Just saw this Ken. Off to a great start. I also decided that I have to have a coffin with mine too. I haven't got mine yet. It's been over a month but with everything going on hopefully it will be here soon. (y)
    All the best,
    Mark
    KenBoyle likes this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ken

Catching up a little ....can only agree ref base looks great , love the painting and adding the grave/ coffin was a spot on idea , well explained how you did the groundwork as well

As for the first figure ..fine painting , really does look the business

Thanks for sharing updates

Following closely

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    KenBoyle likes this.
  16. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Mark! It's a nice kit. Have a great holiday and take care. :)
    marco55 likes this.
  17. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Ta
    Thanks Nap! I'm enjoying this one just a little pressure to get it done before the holidays. :)
  18. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    You too Ken.
    Mark
  19. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    You'll be painting like a maniac to get this done, JW looks good.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  20. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Bob! I'm getting close. I just finished the next two and am posting them now. The rest tomorrow, hopefully.
    Viking Bob likes this.