1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Belgian Cavalry at Work

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, May 29, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Hi folks!

After just viewing Marijn's remarkable and very original comic piece, posting my pics of the Belgique cavalryman is definitely an anti-climax for yours truly. HOW does that guy get his ideas?

Here you go. The photos might be a little shady. Omaha weather today is heavy overcast and so humid it reminds me of Louisiana. In a couple of the photos the figure is leaning more than he will be when finally mounted.

Yet to do - general clean-up of the figure and horse, completing the road sign, a few odds and ends to complete the horse.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

As always your comments and critique are very welcome.

All the best,
    Dan
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Looks good Dan. All that research you did on this one has really payed off. A nice original piece which I sure will look splendid painted up.

All the best,

Roger.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers, Roger! Many thanks!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dan,

No words, just enjoying.

Marc
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers, Marc! I forgot to mention I still have the Mauser carbine conversion and a sword hilt to finish! Lots left!

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great Dan....look forward to seeing this one painted up too.
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks so much Guy! Cheers! ;)

All the best,
    Dan
  8. angus147258 New Member

Very good but is it just me or does that horse look like he's about to pee?
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Hey Jake - that was exactly the look I was going for!!! :lol:

Thanks for the comment!

All the best,
    Dan
  10. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    This is really coming together well Dan, certainly going to be a great piece when it's finished and painted.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Dave!!

All the best,
    Dan
  12. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    WELL DONE, Dan !!!! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kenneth! It's slowly shaping up.

All the best,
    Dan
  14. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    really nice one mate?

what is the scale?

where did you get the horse?

i need a horse in 75mm if you have any ideas

excellent piece tho, keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!
  15. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Dan
    beautiful realization a lot interesting
    the horse that you have used is a AirFix?
    MAB :)
  16. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Hello Dan!

Congrats on a great piece!
    But what are talking about? This is an absolutely great idea! One that I would have loved doing myself if you hadn't beaten me to it...

Looking froward to seeing it finished!
    best wishes,

Marijn
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Periklis, Maurizio and Marijn - Many thanks for your kind comments. There is quite a bit more to do on this. The biggest job left is to make a 1889 Mauser carbine. [A next to useless weapon incidentally - very poor range, inaccurate, prone to jams and with only a 3 shot clip. Yet both the French and Belgian cavalry were equipped with it.] To answer your questions, the scale is 120mm and the horse is from the Dragon kit #1619, "German Wehrmacht Cavalry". I don't know who sculpted that horse, but I think it's a very good one and I plan to use it again in other projects. Who makes a 75mm horse? I think Michael Roberts has one or two in resin, possibly The Lost Battalion and Steve Warrilow (Fusilier) has a couple good metal ones. Hope that helps.

Marijn - Thanks again for your comments. This HAS been an interesting and challenging project and fun - more than anything else, fun! And I'm pleased with the results so far and think that Marc Megroot's painting of it will be top shelf. But in our world of little sculptures, there are some that just transcend the genre. "The Great Escape" does that. And on top of that it does it with humor, wit and humanity. If I were wearing a hat, I'd take it off to you. I look forward to your next project.

All the best,
    Dan
  18. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    Dan thanks for your help.

How do i contact Michael Roberts or Steve Warrilow?

thanks again
  19. Alex Lopez Active Member

Mexico
    Hello Dan, you really are working my friend, glad to see that your models are better and better.

I´ll waiting for the finished figure.

regards.
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Alex - Thanks for your kind comments, amigo. I always look for and enjoy your postings on pF! Most happy to hear you think my skills are on the up! Still struggling to rise above apprentice to journeyman....

Todo el la mejor, [Gee - I hope this translates properly!]
    Dan