1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Bat (Red Son variant)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Calvin, May 22, 2007.

1. Calvin Member

This is a still unfinished piece inspired on the "Red Son" series by Mark Millar, sort of "What if" where Superman as well other characters are depicted as coming from the Soviet Union, not USA.

In this series Batman "appears as the child of parents murdered by Roslov. His anarchical terrorism is a thorn in Superman's side. Batman later inspires an entire team of Batmen" (from Wikipedia).

I wasn't able to resist to the Cossack look of this kind of Bat, so this is my rendition, still some work required, as previously said the piece is not finished yet. In the flesh the chest is wider, but the macro lens makes it flat and looking smaller. The head comes from a copy of the previous Bat sculpt.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Luca, stunnin' piece of sculpture, but this version of Batman leaves me totally cold.
  3. Guayo New Member

Hola Luca,

I'm happy to see another of your figures/bust, but this time this joy come with a
    special meaning, since this graphic novel is one of my all time favorites

I couldn't find a illustration from the comic, but I got this image, this would help
    us, understand more of the character and praise the work of Luca.

[IMG]

Any projects from Watchmen before the movie come and destroy it all.

Saludos Luca y buen trabajo

Eduardo
  4. Kandor8 Active Member

United-States
    Luca-
    Also one of my favorite Elseworlds graphic novels. Great rendition. Superman from the same book would be a great subject too (Hint, Hint)!
    Keep those DC characters coming!
    Best!
    Ric
  5. Calvin Member

Thanks guys, yes I must admit it is a bit unusual version of Batman but for me it has his own charm.

There is almost impossible to find artworks related to this kind of Batman on the web, a lot of shots of the action figure but a very few drawings, these are the only I found

[IMG]

[IMG]

On the other hand there is a lot of references for the Red Son Superman, like these

[IMG]

[IMG]

or the really nice action figures, like this, with a more classic look

[IMG]

or this one, a bit sinister but beautiful

[IMG]

I was unaware of the Watchmen series, it looks interesting. It seems full of "deviant", unusual and "what if" versions out there, I just discovered a green kryptonite Batman version, by Ed McGuinness I think.
  6. Guayo New Member

Watchmen was part of a late 1980s trend towards comics with more adult sensibilities,and adult themes. the author Alan Moore is a very prolific writer, Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,are just some of his titles, the film adaptations of three of his book are just pathetic. Look for this titles Luca, I know you would have a good time.

This is my favorite illustration of Comrade Superman
    [IMG]

Saludos

Eduardo
  7. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi tovarich
    i love your batman
    as always wonderful work :)

Seb.
  8. Calvin Member

Finally finished