1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Baron

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by theseeker, Jun 1, 2008.

1. theseeker Member

United-States
    I stumbled across these pictures today of Model Cellars MVR "The Red Baron."
    I gave the figure away to friend that has a passion for WWI aviation. This is my fourth figure since returning to the hobby after a 10+ year hiatus. Hopefully, I am making progress.I would appreciate your critiques, comments or advice!
    This figure was done in oils over acrylics. This is a very large canvas to work with. I really enjoyed this figure.

Attached Files:

2. redalb2253 New Member

United-States
    Baron

Great work I have this bust also and will follow the thread when I can get to mine, Really nice.:cool:
  3. theseeker Member

United-States
    Steve,
    Thanks for the kind words. I am a relative new comer but this was a great piece to paint. The casting is outstanding, at least in my view, but it is a difficult figure to paint.
    Rocky
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Rocky,

Nice work mate. The eyes look very creepy to me.

Cheers
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Rocky. Whats next on your bench?
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rocky, I think over all, this guy turned out really well. Especially since it's so early in your figure paining tenure! I would like to see you push your contrasts a bit further. The flesh tones in particular. The spaces on the hand in-between the fingers could use a deeper shadow to emphasize the depth. Tony has a point about the eyes. The only thing I see that might help with them is that you could use a darker outline around the iris, this gives a good anchor for them and will keep them from having that sorta "too intense" look. I also think the cockades on his hat should have some color on them and not be straight metallic. Someone needs to chime in here and set me straight, but somehow, red, white and blue seem to the way to go. Don't be put-off by my comments, you did a very commendable job here, they are just meant as things to work on and not necessarily criticisms. Hope to see it in Tulsa soon!!!

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Very well done!! what is the size of this figure.
  8. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely stunning painting - he looks alive - brilliant
  9. theseeker Member

United-States
    Thanks for the replies. The scale is 1/6, thus my comment about a large canvas. Jay, I have started "pushing" it more my latest two figures. They are 1/10 scale Napoleonic busts and DC's book was a great find. Tony, I was going for an intense look for the eyes and I wanted the look to be a bit cold. Perhaps I went too far? Guy, Marcel and Stephen thanks for the kind words. I am really enjoying painting and I just want to get better.
    Thanks to all of PF members I am sure that I will.
    Rocky
  10. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Rocky you DEFINITELY are on the right track.......welldone! You will certainly walk FAR if you "listen" and "apply"...........

Nothing more to add from my end, to the SOUND advice Jay has given!!!

Keep them rolling........

Ray ;)
  11. theseeker Member

United-States
    Thanks Ray! I truly appreciate all of you encouraging me. I do take the advice to heart.

Rocky
  12. ModelCellar A Fixture

Hi Rocky,

very, VERY NICE! I like it a lot!!

I remember the "in progress" thread you started a while back. I kind of lost track and was wondering how this piece turned out. ...so nice to see our pieces completed. Keep up the good work!!

Paul
    Model Cellar Productions
    www.ModelCellar.com
  13. theseeker Member

United-States
    Paul,

Somehow I think that you may be biased? However, thanks for your praise. I will take all that I can get and this one figure that I will definitely revisit.

Rocky