1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Amazing Spiderman

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jim Patrick, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Here is a figure I painted recently for some relaxation and guess what? I ENJOYED it! Anyway, hopefully all the pictures are the right size (not too big or small). I'm still learning this whole digital photography thing so would you guys also please help me in that department as well? As far as the figure goes..... I'm still learning and practicing with the color blue. Any and all help will be most apreciated (?).

Thanks, Jim

Attached Files:

2. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    OK, this probably will not be quiet so amazing but how do I post multiple pics in one post?
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Jim,
    Your blues look good with the difference with highlights and darker shadows being covered well.

guy
  4. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    I'm with guy. The blues look really good. Perhaps the blue background is making the highlights and shading stand out more.
    The photo's cool too. Was it taken outdoors?
  5. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Thank you Guy. No Lou, it was taken inside at my workbench with a very simple set up courtesy Dave Harper. Thanks Dave. Lou and Guy, your comments mean a lot coming from established artist' such as yourselves. Here is another picture.

Attached Files:

6. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    and one more

Attached Files:

7. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Jim
    I like it very much
    Good to know you enjoyed painting it

Does the wall come with the kit?
    apologies, if you scratch built it

Nice photos

Frank (y) (y)
  8. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Frank, the wall comes with the kit. I really forgot to add this (I know most of you already know this) but the figure is made by Andrea and it really is a fantastic figure with all the muscle tones very well rendered. The only two things I added were the logo on his chest and back using my favorite comic book hero for reference.

Thanks again, Jim
  9. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Jim from what I can see - it is really hard to judge in photos - the highlighting and the shading is first rate. Blue is tough but you hit it head on the red is excellent too. Acrylics?

What colors did you use to shade the red?
  10. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Lou, everything was painted using Vallejo and Andrea acrylic paint. The red was shaded first by a dark red brown, then some violet and finally I added some black for deep shadows.
  11. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Again, really well done. the violet is a great shading color for red and yellow bcause it doesn't muddy it up. (y) (y)
  12. bchilstrom New Member

United-States
    Jimbo, Jimbo, Jimbo,

Nice job with the photography, I guess spending all that time rattling around the insides of an Abrams, like a ball inside of a can of Krylon, has not caused you any permanent damage!!

No, seriously though, you did a great job with your new camera.

David

Nice job on Spidey too. ;)
  13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

Very nice. I have this kit to do soon and I may have to bend your ear for a few pointers!

Joe
  14. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Jim,

"The Arachnid" turned out great. I was thinking of picking one up myself because Spidey is my youngest kid's favorite. If my painting turns out half as nice as yours, I'll be pretty satisfied. Great job.

Mike
  15. Brandy Small New Member

Jim,
    I think it is beautiful. Did an A+ on the figure... and when you include the excellent job on the brick wall you went full circle.

Brandy
  16. Franco Active Member

Australia
    Dear Jim,

Well done on Spidey - no problem there with the blue colours. I also like the logo you have placed on the figure. No idea why Andrea Miniatures left it off the figure.

Mike I too have this kit and my four year old daughter has insisted that I paint it for her soon!!!!! Otherwise she will paint it ....

After seen these wonderful photos of the Spiderman I may have a go at mine.

Thanks for posting these Jim and keep up the great work.

Cheers
    Franco
  17. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Very nicely done Jim! Very nicely done! (y)

-jim cox
  18. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Once again, thank you all. Bill (or should I say Dave), thanks for the photography tips. I still have a long ways to go. BRANDY! Welcome to the Planet. It's a really fun site with a TON (!) of great figure painters. Throw some of your work up here to show everyone what your capable of. This youg lady is really quite a good painter. All of you can take a look at my gallery now. I finally got off my butt and put some pics up. I'm going to be adding more new stuff here before too long. By the way, all of my figures are painted with acrylics.

Thanks again one and all, Jim
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I would like to welcome Brandy to the planet as well. She is one fine figure painter who can hold her own with any of us. She is also a neighbor here in OKC and now we have two who are from the big OKC. you can visit her website at:
    www.paintersquest.com

guy
  20. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

Your figure looks great.
    Keep up the good work.
    Roc.