1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book "The Alamo" vignette - Reedees Miniatures Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    RM-75-03
    "The Alamo"
    75mm resin - 18 parts
    Sculpted by - Steve Readdie
    Painted by - Steve Pepper
    Research by - Rick Brownlee

Alamo 01.jpg

I was quite intrigued by this kit when I first saw it released. A period of American History seldom seen in miniature form plus the wedgie effect of having a part of a canon in the scene. The kit consists of 18 resin parts including a wall section and canon. One of the figures has the option of a shotgun or a pistol he can be using. To show you all the parts this review developed into a rather long and large review.

[ continued in next posting ]

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Alamo 02.jpg

Alamo 03.JPG

This kit comes packaged in a sturdy white cardboard box with all the parts sandwiched between layers of foam. The small parts are sealed inside a clear plastic zip-lok bag.

Parts

Alamo 04.JPG

Alamo 05.JPG

Above in the two photographs you see the parts to this kit laid out for inspection.

Figures

Figure 1

Alamo 06.JPG Alamo 07.JPG

Alamo 08.JPG Alamo 09.JPG

Figure 2

Alamo 10.JPG Alamo 11.JPG

Alamo 12.JPG Alamo 13.JPG

Above you see the four sides of each figure. Each figure will need some clean-up of seam lines down the sides. I especially like the facial expressions each figure has in relation to what is happening.

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hats

Alamo 14.JPG

Alamo 15.JPG Alamo 16.JPG

Alamo 17.JPG Alamo 18.JPG

Above you see the hats for each figure and below the dry-fitting of each hat to the figure.

Arms

Alamo 19.JPG

Alamo 20.JPG

Alamo 21.JPG

Alamo 22.JPG

Optional Arms

Alamo 23.JPG Alamo 24.JPG

Alamo 25.JPG

Alamo 26.JPG

Above you see the arms and hands holding the weapons.

4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Alamo 27.JPG

Above you see the separately cast pouch and canteen.

Canon Wedgie

Alamo 28.JPG Alamo 29.JPG

Alamo 30.JPG

Alamo 31.JPG

Above you see both sides of the canon and undercarriage.

Alamo 32.JPG Alamo 33.JPG

Above you see both the front and back of the wheel. A real thin flange will need to be removed easily with a scaple knife.

Alamo 34.JPG

Above are some accessories for the canon.

Dry-fitting
    The Canon

Alamo 35.JPG

Alamo 36.JPG

Alamo 37.JPG

Alamo 38.JPG

The above photographs show different views of the canon dry-fitted together.

5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The Base

Alamo 39.JPG

Alamo 40.JPG

Alamo 41.JPG

Above are several views of the textured base with accessories cast to the base. The are locator positions for the wall section and the wheel track for the canon limber's wheel.

Wall Section

Alamo 42.JPG Alamo 43.JPG

Additional Box Art Photographs

Painted
    by
    Steve Pepper

Alamo 44.jpg

Alamo 45.jpg

Alamo 46.jpg

Alamo 47.jpg

Alamo 48.jpg

Alamo 49.jpg

Conclusion:
    Although needing a lot of prep-time before painting begins I would still highly recommend this kit due to the fact of the historical period it represents.
    Reedees Miniatures web-site
    click here

R525
    Purchased from Reedees Miniatures.

6. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Alamo" vignette - Reedees Miniatures

OMG. . . Steve is getting into an area of presentation that we have not seen
    that often. The scale, the period of American History, the figures, and the
    placement of same on that base with the "wedgie" that includes the section of
    the cannon is really quite "unique". . . And quite remarkable.

I contemplate this boxed set and start to wonder just where Reeddie
    Miniatures will be going in the not to distant future. Really quite remarkable,
    and creates a great deal of interest in the future offering from Steve Readdie,
    al la Reedie Miniatures. . .

Well done, Steve Pepper and Mr. Readdie, and thank you Guy for such great
    close up detailed photos of the actual kit parts along with
    your comprehensive text. Oh my, the power of the Internet. . . awesome.

Miami Jayhawk
    combatartist likes this.
  7. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Well i definately love this vigniette for iits scale for its presentation for its sculpting and for its detail. Will paint this one for sure Steve !!!!

Thanks for the review Guy

Costas
  8. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I already have this kit cleaned up and waiting to be painted . It really is a a lovely kit, it tells a story just by looking at it even if you didn't know the history behind it (believe it or not there are some out there who don't) You can see the final defiance in the faces of both figures , highly recommend it , and at a price some firms are charging for a single it's also good value .

chippy
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks a great kit to me.

Marc
  10. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Excellent review Guy. Thanks for the info on this. I ordered one yesterday and can't wait to get it started.
  11. Figurini Member

France
    very original for this historical period but the casting is......hum. Lines joins are very big. :(
  12. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    The kit does have prominant seams, however its not really taking any more time than I usually put into cleanup. The detail is crisp and well placed. For instance, the weapons are very well rendered and the bucket has wood grain both inside and out. I have taken the liberty of drilling out the barrels of all the weapons and some of the trigger guards. I have not run into any major issues yet. The only warpage I found was a little on the double barrel, the nock volley gun, and the base, which I corrected with hot water on the stove. The only problem I have is deciding to go with the shotgun or the nock gun, hmm
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Figurini....you are correct in your observations regarding joint lines from the mould, this was one of the first kits I cast myself and and has lots of complications and 15 seperate moulds, the review sample is probably the worst example of this, I do not clean up kits for review purpose to make them look better, I will pick any random box from the stock and without inspection I will send it for review. In this way there is no cover up of what you get, I prefer people to see exactly what they are going to buy so they can make a concise choice whether to purchase or not. For me to have this kit sent for casting would of added about another £30-£40 to the retail price, in this economic climate I am trying to save the modeller money the best I can.
    I am happy to say my casting skills are far better now and I will look at remoulding this kit for the next set of castings.

Tom.... I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the kit, hope you have fun and any help needed just PM me,

many thanks to Guy for the review

Steve
  14. Figurini Member

France
    Steve, you're right. The molding is difficult. No school to form this business. It is by practicing that we learn.
    And I appreciate the professional respect modellers. I will see your pictures.

Regards
  15. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Steve, thank you for the offer of assistance. I am having fun with this one and I have some scenery ideas to add but there really is not a lot to improve on. I only hope my meager painting skills will do it justice.
  16. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Guy an excellent review and a great sculpted vignette from Steve of a historical subject not covered enough IMO. (y)

Cheers Ken
  17. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    fine review and nice work!
  18. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Man what I would not give to see that dude fire the Nock volley gun with one hand!