1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Alabamian

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by y_wong, Jul 8, 2004.

1. y_wong New Member

Dear folks,

I'm here to share with all another one of my sculpting projects. It is based upon a painting by Rick Reeves as shown in the attached picture.

This time my approach will differ from previous. I will post only completed parts. As for the intermediate steps leading to the sculpted parts, please refer to my website.

Hope you enjoy this thread.

regards

PS Give feel free to comment so that I can improve.

Attached Files:

2. y_wong New Member

The mannequim was sculpted as shown. As with most of my models, it is 120mm scale. The stock head is from Verlinden. It is undersized and slightly deformed, hence some modifications to the head is necessary.

regards

Attached Files:

3. y_wong New Member

The modified head....

Attached Files:

4. y_wong New Member

and the pants.....

Attached Files:

5. PeteC Member

Looking good so far. The only comment I'd have is about the hat. The round, flat crown portion of the hat needs to slide forward. Take a comparison with the painting.
  6. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Wong Yau, (y) (y) so far ! Cheers.
    Kenneth ;)
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Ahh, another fan of Rick Reeves' work! Looking good so far Wong.

Wong, I have to agree with Pete. Here are some pic's of what we're looking at. Note the distinct slope of the kepi.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. y_wong New Member

Thanks Pete, Kenneth and Jason.

Appreciate your constructive comment. I will be doing something about the kepi. I will be posting the modified kepi soon.

regards :)
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Wong, your figure is coming along very nicely, I like the way you added character to the face,looks natural.(y)

Roc. :) (y)
  10. y_wong New Member

Hey Roc, glad you like it.

At this moment, I am busy scratch building the M1861 springfield musket. It should be ready soon. I have also completed the scratch building of the M1855 cartridge box. The diffence between this cartridge box and the previously scratch built one is in the details.

I will be posting both of their pictures soon so please check back again soon.

11. Patrick Kirk New Member

Rick's work is phenominal...I can tell you personally he is a great guy, too. He researches the hell out of all his paintings, uses re-enactors as models and has a collection of arms and uniforms that is simply amazing. His work lends itself very nicely to miniature adaptation...can't wait to see more on this thread.

All the best

Patrick
  12. y_wong New Member

Thanks Patrick. Hope I don't disappoint.

13. y_wong New Member

Hey folks,

I have completed the M1861 Springfield rifled musket.

From Reeves's painting, it can be seen that it was an Enfield musket that the Alabamian was holding. I decided to replace it with a Springfield musket instead. Attached is a pic of the musket. For the SBS of scratch building the musket, please refer to my site.

http://sg.geocities.com/y_wong62/

As usual, just follow the link.

Hope you like it.

Attached Files:

14. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wong, looking good. I wish I had the courage to sculpt weapons.

Couple observations: Your 1861 Springfield should have a curved "butt" and a couple of the barrel band springs are backward, also the barrel should be a little longer at the end of the stock. The nose cap shouldn't be so long either.

The Enfield was a much more common weapon than the Springfield in the Confederate army. Not saying they didn't have them but my second choice would have been the Austrian Lorenz.

Hope you take this as constructive. Keep up the great work and looking forward to your next step. :)

Sorry if the pic's are fuzzy...they were taken on the "fly". :lol:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  15. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Wong, beautiful work, nice details.(y)

keep up the good work and happy sculpting.

Roc. :) (y)
  16. y_wong New Member

Dear Jason,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I will be rectifying them. The barrel band springs and the nose cap can be easily modified except for the curved butt which may need a little bit more effort.

Yes I am aware that the Enfield is much more commonly used by the confederate force but I also read that the confederate tends to used captured Springfield musket.

Thanks again for you feedback, I really appreciate it. That's the only way to improve.

regards
  17. y_wong New Member

Dear Roc,

Glad that you enjoy it.

regards
  18. y_wong New Member

Dear all,

I have made some modifications to the butt, nose cap andd barrel band springs of the musket as suggested by Jason. Attached is the modified musket. Hope you like it.

PS Thanks again Jason.

Attached Files:

19. Patrick Kirk New Member

Wong,
    Incredible! Well done. I can't wait to see this piece come together
    All the best

Patrick
  20. y_wong New Member

Dear Patrick,

Glad that you like it. More coming this way. Watch this space. Please feel free to give me your feedback.