1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Thank you for adding me to this group

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Dorg Endo, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Dorg Endo New Member

United-States
    Hello everybody.

My name is April and this year is the year. Ever since I was a little kid I always wanted to paint miniatures and create small scale world's. The reason I haven't done so yet was because I didn't know anyone else who had the same interest and I wasn't the type of kid to walk up to group and ask to join in.

The genres I'm most likely going to stick with are Fantasy and Sci-fi.

Since I need to build my basic skills I have a box set of 60 various acrylic paints, mixing balls, and minor modeling tools.

Figures are mostly in the 28mm/32mm miniatures scale. Have some random monsters to paint, to me they seemed like amateur forgiving minis.

One of my first big projects is to build a Warhammer 40k Orc army. Have the figures already, about 50 as I recall. I'm also starting to play D&D which is another thing I have always want to do but never had a group of people to be my own. So I'm hanging at the local hobby shop which has been a very positive experience. I think I can wrangle my husband to play along too as long as I paint a mini for him. He is a very supportive nerd.

Looking for a website with people into the painting side I picked this place for all the talent, of course, and the great attitude people have here.

I need to focus on the positive side of things as I have a history of letting negative thoughts keep me from doing things that should be fun. Painting minis will fit nicely into making fun things for me to do on life. If anyone has tips for people with superior vision (20/13) getting over the frustration of seeing imperfections no one else can see I would appreciate it.

Attached the first mini I painted to completion. Sadly other minis got the best of me with frustration. It is a Flying Ray that had many manufacturer defects. 3 hours painting time in one session. Honestly it was a relief to paint on something with flaws that no paint could fix. That allowed me to get into a let's have fun mindset and make a decent monster. Acrylics with some washes and dry brush highlights.

InShot_20200201_220508695.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there April

A VERY BIG WELCOME to PF it's great to have you here with us

PF is for ALL figures so your interests are very welcome to see

I only paint busts so have never gone to this scale ..but must say the details looks great , would possibly put a wash on the piece

Do feel free to ask any questions we have lots of helpful folk as well a Painting techniques part for both Acrylics and Oils

Lots of information in the Welcome Aboard part

Just enjoy your visits and look forward to your artwork

Happy painting

Nap

PS got to ask Why Dorg Endo ....yes I am thicker than most ...lol
    Dorg Endo likes this.
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome April,
    Nice to see some of your work and looking forward to more. There are plenty of sci-fi and fantasy painters on the site that can help you along the way.

Steve
    Dorg Endo and Nap like this.
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Glad you find your way to us

Welcome
    Nap likes this.
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Pleased to meet you April.
    Carl.(y)
  6. Dorg Endo New Member

United-States
    Thank you all for the nice welcome. I'm getting some things together that are WIP. I've already learned a lot reading throughout the site here. Like using a cat whisker as a small detail brush. Not sure how to hold the whisker, maybe a micro surgical blade holder... probably would work
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome to the Planet, April!

I encourage you to visit shows, too. Meeting up with other figure painters and collectors is an enjoyable aspect to our hobby.

Prost!
    Brad
  8. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    All power to your paintbrush, April. You’re very welcome here & hope you enjoy your visits.

Chris.