1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Thanatos, Michael Kontraros, 90mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by franck edet, Oct 15, 2021.

1. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    hi mates !

yesterday i started the work on Thanatos, please see my review here :

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/thanatos-michael-kontraros-90mm-full-figure.311332/

my first idea was to present her on a simple black base, but while working on my tribute to Tremois, i told myself i could try to do a background painting for it. So basically i bought a piture frame at the dollar store and I painted this ... still don't know if it will be the final setting, but i think it could be cool.

backg2.jpg backg.jpg

still some details i want to work on but the main concept is there. to paint the stars i use an old can of white which is splattering if i don't push really strong on te button hahaha ! one simple way to create a deep space effect.
    then i made a mask for the planet, and usd some sponge painting to create the volumes and paintbrush for details. the glowing atmosphere is another bigger mask and i used the airbrush ... idem for the glowing stars.

my main concern being the cast shadows when the figure will be in place ... we will see then i guess.
  2. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    hi guys,

started to paint the star today, using mainly browns and some yellow ... still a lot to do on it but i don't want to rush the effect :)

001.jpg
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Love the background Franck.(y)
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Franck

You definitely have a skill on the background work , very effective indeed ....with the figure it's going to be special to follow the SBS and see the completed piece

Following with interest

Happy benchtine

Nap
  5. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I really like that background Franck, the very different looking planet is perfect for this subject. Coincidentally, I took both Thanatos and Genesis of the shelf for a look the other day, I'm very tempted to start on them, but I'm still not decided on which way to go with them. Are you doing them both, or just Thanatos?
    Following this with keen interest.
  6. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    Henk : I have just Thanatos, i didn't had a particular feeling with Genesis. but it looks like a very cool one with a lot of options for painting :)

Thanks for the comments guys
  7. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    with all this rain pouring outside it was a good day to get to the mancave and go forward on the structure today.
    for once i'm quite satisfied with how the NMM turned out ! it's been all a work of love, playing with all sorts of browns and yellows ... sorry i can't tell a precise recipe :
    it's been all instictive going back and forth with glazes and strong colors.
    for the structure it all begun with a blueish charcoal gray then i played with glazes of greens over it, same for the skulls.

here are the pictures, 2 firsts are in progress and then 2 others are where i am now. made a try with the background, let me know your thoughts please !

002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

yes i painted the back, in case i wouldn't use the background in the end ;)
  8. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I very much like how you did the stone work and the skulls. I'm looking forward to see what you do with Thanatos.
    franck edet likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Franck

Excellent update ....as for with the background ...I think it work really well together so wouldn't change it too much if at all

NMM looks good

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
    franck edet likes this.
  10. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    Henk, Nap, Thanks mates :)

for the background i will see in the very end when Thanatos will be in its place :)
  11. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    this morning job : Prepping Thanatos ...

I've passed a long time thinking of how the heck i will be able to have her on a handle ...
    finally there was only one place that won't be seen after ... not the most fair but there was no other solution (to me at least)

she'S now ready for priming

006.jpg 007.jpg

i will let dry the primer for a good 24 hours ... stay tuned as they say !
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Franck

Of course it's the only option...

IMG_0144.JPG

Nap
    franck edet and Billy Dickinson like this.
  13. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    today i begun the painting of the skin,

basecoat was pure "black leather" which is a kind of purple black, then with the airbrush i worked the first lights using "basic flesh" and defined them better with pure "pale skin"
    once dried i used a glaze of "indian shadow" all over.
    as you can see i made the bottom of the legs way more dark than the upper parts as i want the focus on the top of the body :)

from this basework i will work highlights and shadows.

008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

that'S it for today'S post :) if you have any question, feel free to ask :)

for those interested : i use a Chinese Airbrush, 0.2mm double action gravity fed, bought for 15.50$ on aliexpress, works perfect for the last 5 years.
    Landrotten Highlander likes this.
  14. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    hello guys !

this week-end i decided to play with colors on Thanatos, roughly following the excellent Box Art by Marc Masclans ...
    playing a lot with purple tones and luminosity ... basically i used sunset purple, violet and violet ink to get there, extreme highlights are sky blue white.

i started too the work on NMM for the crown but this is just a very first stage !

011.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg 014.jpg

let me know your thoughts !
    cheers :)
  15. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking very good so far Franck. That pure legging looks great.
  16. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    thank you Henk !
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Franck

Great update on this and good results working on the purples

This is going to be a very impressive piece

Thanks for sharing

Happy painting

Nap
  18. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
  19. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    hello my friends !
    today was a good day at the bench, i moved forward on the gold NMM and .... pfeeeeeewwwww .... there are details everywhere !
    this is probably the most complex figure i ever worked on ! anyway i think it turned out ok in the end :) I still need to add some very high highlights to the gold.
    i'm really happy too with how the eyes are totally out of this world : simple recipe : black and a dot of white ...
    I added some red reflections in the wing ... not too much but it gives some hue variations to the purple :)

015.jpg 016.jpg 017.jpg 018.jpg

let me know what are your thoughts !

cheers !
    Nap and Landrotten Highlander like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Franck

This is a complicated piece and the painting really works ..she definitely looks sinister and I love the wings ....hope you pinned them!

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap