1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

texas ranger

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by petermh, Jul 29, 2006.

1. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    My latest project is a guidon bearer of the 8th texas cavalry CSA better known as Terry's Texas Rangers who fought as part of Forrest's command in the western theatre of the civil war.
    for this figure I decided to use the recently released galloping horse from michael roberts. I have mixed feelings about this kit the horse was missing an ear (later found in the bottom of the bag) the fit of the parts was poor and it proved impossible to remove the excess mould material without removing half the horse's rump.Never the less when assembled with plenty of filler the horse looks good with plenty of action in the pose
    The photographs show the horse virtually completed with the addition of an andrea western saddle the figure is still at the armature stage with michael roberts head and boots.
    I have been unable to find any reliable information as to the size of guidon used by this unit but the one in the photographs looks too big and I shall replace this with something smaller
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Looks interesting Peter!
    Im gonna follow this development.

Cheers
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Peter, Interesting project. If you check out the link to the Terry's Texas Rangers website you'll see a really interesting color (flag) on their homepage. it's probably more colorful and distinctive than a "lone star" type flag.~Gary

http://www.terrystexasrangers.org/
  4. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary.thanks for the tip its an interesting site,I ;ll definately giive my fiigure some fringed buckskin boots like the guy in the group photograph on the rangers site home page,
    With regard to the fllag I recently purchased a history of the rangers entitled "none but texians" which gives full details of the flag you mention, the only trouble is there is alot of text on it as well as 12 small stars on the cross.I don't think my painting skills are up to it.
    I shall probably go for the rangers first flag of inverted single whte star on a blue ground with the words terry's texas rangers in gold.
    The otheralternaive I have seen illustrated appears to be a cross between the state flag and the confederate national flag ie a single star on a blue ground alongsidethree bars one white between two red no lettering and much easier to paint
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Neat project, Pete! Since I'm just beginning a series of WWI cavalry projects I'll follow your progress. Feel free to drop any tips or hints, ideas on how to do things, etc.!! If you need info on saddles or horse equipment, check out the Military Horse Society web site - www.militaryhorse.org. Good bunch of folks and very helpful!

ps-My great-great-great grandfather on my mom's side was a lieutenant in one of Forrest's many Tennessee cav units.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Peter, It's an interesting project, regardless of the flag you're using. One thing I definitely admire are your efforts to research the project given you "across the pond".~Gary
  7. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    gary despite being across the pond I've always been facinated by the civil war and my figures are almost exclusively from that period.I've had the good fortune to visit qute a few battlefields such as antietam gettysberg and chickamauga
    dan thanks for the information I'll post further progress reports on this figure
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Peter,

Nice progress so far!

I have a couple suggestions. The guideon would have had a boot to put the Guideon in on the right stirrup, its basicaly just a cylindrical shaped leather 'sheath' for the flag pole to go in. The way it is positioned now (by looking at the pics) the horse would kick the flag pole when he took another step with the hind right leg.

Also, do you have any reference for the western saddle? It looks to be more of an 1880's type rigging. He would probably be on a McClellan rig. If you need any ref on a McClellan saddle let me know as I got one.
  9. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    anders
    Thanks for your comments I have amended the position of the guideon so that it rests in a stirrup bucket
    With regard to the saddle my information is that the regiment provided their own saddles and favoured the texas or hope saddle.The andrea saddle I have used looks very similar to a photograph I found of a hope saddle in the historic saddles section of the re-enactors site 7th Tennessee cavalry company D .
    As amatter of interest minie ball miniatures have recently released an excellent 54mm McClellan saddle
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Peter,

Excellent. It is interesting what the different units used that were not regulation. I got an 1860's hope saddle and they sure ride nice!

Thanks for the heads up on the 54mm McClellan, good to know that someone finally produced one.

Keep it up!