1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Teutonic standard bearer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gforceman, Mar 31, 2004.

1. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi folks,

This is one of the figures I'm working on at the moment. It's a 54mm white metal casting by Romeo models from Italy. Although he's still in the very early stages, I would appreciate all comments.

Many thanks in advance.

greetings,

Gino.

The surcoat is only in it's basecolour now (pearl grey with some very light blue)

[IMG]

The face should be ready. The leather parts need to be highlighted once more.

[IMG]

The white of the flag is ready, except some retouching which needs to be done at the end. The black cross is in it's basecolour. The hardest part will be to straighten the pole.

[IMG]
  2. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Gino,

Nice!

I don't know if you've glued the pole yet, but I have found that by resting the part with the flag off of the edge of a table, and then rolling a hardcover book over the bottom part of the pole (the part below the flag), you can straighten out the soft metal very well.

Lou
  3. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    He's already in place :( i had to do some filling on the hand to arm joint.

Thanks for the tip anyway, I'll remember it for future project.

Gino
  4. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Gino,

Although I think it looks ok, another option is to cut it out (from the hands and flag) and replace it with wood or brass rod.

Lou
  5. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi guys,

i had some time to smudder some more paint on my figure. The surcoat is almost done; I just will redo some high highlights and dark shadows. it will then be "dirtied" a bit, and the the painting of the details can start.

All comments are very appreciated,

Gino.

[IMG]
  6. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Gino-

I always enjoy seeing how people do white and deep folds - like this! :)

Some of the transition between high lights and shadows seem a bit to stark to me (or could be the photo!)

For example, the small folds on the left immediately below his sword belt and the shadows immediately above his surcoat belt. Maybe soften this transition a bit?

I like this figure a great deal. Pegaso also has some wonderful Templar and Teutonic 54 mm figs that I have on my ever lengthening list!

Keith
  7. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi everyone,

i found some time to work some more on this figure, so here are some more pictures.

The figure itself is about ready, I only need to do the shoe and "dirty" him a bit up

[IMG]

The second picture is an in progress of the shield. It's the first time I paint heraldry and I realise I need to improve A LOT. Then again, we all need to learn, don't we?

[IMG]

All tips and remarks are welcome.

Greetz,

Gino.
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gino!

He is looking great! I think the sheild is looking really cool too, love the shading and highlighting to show the 'curve' of the sheild. Its is exellently done!
  9. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Gino-

Looks great to me. I like the weathering on the surcoat alot. Difficult to do but it looks like you are getting it very well.

Heraldry on shield and surcoats have put me off many a medieval figure (up until recently, that is). Are you painting the heraldry free hand? I have read a couple of artlicles in HM where the heraldry is drawn free hand first with a pencil on a transparent piece of paper and then traced on or drawn free hand on the shield and then filled in. How are you doing it? Acrylics, too?

Keith
  10. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Gino, (y) (y) (y) !! GREAT JOB on the figure and heraldry ;keep up the good work and post more soon.Cheers !
    Kenneth.