Completed Teutonic Grand Master is done

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    OK, I was able to get better pics (much better pics) made of the Teutonic Knight now that he is done. This was my last project to wrap up before Atlanta, so he'll be going with me! All in oils as per ususal. Metalics are printers inks. I was going for a very weary look for this guy. His expression just seemed to say that, especially in his eyebrows. I added several good cuts to his face, the black eye, sweat and a dirty uniform and such. I added the facial hair and horns to the helmet with Aves apoxie sculpt. Hope you like the final result, thanks for looking!

Jay H.

Attached Files:

unknown01, rej, gordy and 13 others like this.
  2. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great job Jay, I see that his knave has cleaned his helm.
    Good luck at Atlanta,
    Carl.
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jay, excellent painting and great detail work. All the best in Atlanta. (y)

Cheers Ken
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Jay,

congratulations, this work are awesome(y)
  5. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Cool beans!!!! Great job Jay on this weary warrior!!
  6. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic painting Jay, lot of nice touches to make this one stand out.

Cheers David
  7. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi Jay,

A very dramatic presentation, not to mention neat convertion! Love the shadings on all fabrics involved!

But could the upper half of the face be a tiny bit overdone? The contrast of lighting there could have softened a little?

Big fan
    Michael
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    He looks a bit less dusty Jay;););). Fantastic painting mate.
  9. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Carl, Ken, Pedro, Matt, David, Michael, many thanks for the comments gentlemen!

Michael, interesting observation. Yes I did make the contrasts on the face just a tad stronger than I might have normaly. That was, for me at least, to emphasize the look of fatigue I was going for. Since in my mind he is just after the battle, and having just gotten his helmet off and still sweating, I like the thought of his color being "washed" from his face causing the more distinct contrasts and in particular the lighter forhead. I lean towards liking higher contrasts myself, but this was done as an effort to emphasize the look I was after. Good suggestion, and you have a good eye!

Jay H.
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    LOL! Thanks for noticing Tony! And thanks for the compliment!

Jay H.
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    LOL! Carl, you and Tony have a keen eye for the furry helm incident!:eek::p

Jay H.
  12. elvis A Fixture

Great work my friend wow ciao from luca:cool:
  13. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Awesome work Jay. I paint with oils also and would love to get your flesh mix and what you undercoat with. Flesh is a constant struggle for me so I could use the help!
  14. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful piece.The whole picture has a drama and the painting looks unified in allparts ! I like the fabricks as much as the metals . My congratulations

Costas
  15. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great work!!!
    chris
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jay,
    Impressive work, as Tony said dusting him up will do no harm.

marc
  17. Martin Vlcek Active Member

Czech-Republic
  18. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Beautiful paintwork Jay!
    and the blue eye is a very nice addition.

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  19. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    great job !!

cheers

stefano
  20. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, Jason, Costas, Chris, Marc, Martin, Marcel, Stefano, gents, I can't thank you enough for the kind words!

Jason, my flesh mix is Raw Umber, Cad Red Medium, Yellow Ochre and Titanium white. I mix my first color with no white, and add progressively more white to that mix for mid tones and high lights. For flesh tones I use 5 colors from darkest shadow to lightest highlights. I use the lightest high light for my eye color. In the case of this bust I actually used my second-to-last high light so that I could get a more red eyed look. I base coat in acrylics as well before I start in with the oils. For the flesh I chose a nice medium tone based on the flesh I'm painting. When I move to the oils, I always start with my darkest shadow tone, pushing it into the nooks and cranies, and then blend in the progressively lighter highlights. I hope this helps in some small way! Thanks for the kind words.

Jay H.