1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Teutonic bust by young.. a test from Guy

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Meehan34, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Here is my latest finished figure which is a piece that Guy kind of forced on me. I have told him several times that I never want to paint a bust. My Grandmother painted ceramic busts of pirates and had them all over her house, so to me a bust is very "Grandmotherish". Well, apparently Young did not make the busts my Grandmother painted, this bust is really awesome. It has actually swayed me to possibly paint another bust or more. I found it more difficult to paint on the larger scale, which is fine i am trying to get better. On this one I want some criticism or advice on what I should have done, maybe the face is too dark or whatever. this is my first bust to paint so I want the honest and/or painful truth. I always thought I was a figure man, but now maybe a bust man?

1stbust1.JPG 1stbust2.JPG

1stbust3.JPG 1stbust4.JPG
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He turned out great Mike. I see vast areas of white that don't seem to have much contrast or shading. On your next white subject area I would like to see you get more contrast.

Have you decided on your next bust yet?.......lol........Jay will love this, you turning to busts. He did the same thing.
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Really nice job Mike, BTW your Grandmother sounds cool
  4. Mark S Guest

Hi Mike, as well as more shading and highlights in the white as Guy said I'd like to see highlights in the hair as well.
    Love your leatherwork.
    Congrats on your first bust.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work.
    I'm with the guys before me. Alot more shading will do the job.

Marc
  6. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you fellas for the honest comments. I'll be honest too, I am scared to death of white, you just can't cheat with it. After your comments I am going to give it a go and try to add more highlites and shadows. Hopefully I don't screw it up, but that is part of the process of learning. Again, I am thakful for your honesty.

Matthew; Yeah, my grandmother is pretty cool. She is quite the painter also, I wish she could still paint, I'd give her a few figures to try but being 91 and not doing so well would make it hard.
  7. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Have to agree with the other guys, but for a first attempt at a bust you did a good job.

Cheers David
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    I agree with my friends, very nicely done.

Keep up the good work and keep those brushes wet.

Cheers
    Roc
  9. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    updated picture

I worked a little on more contrast tonight. I want to make sure I am going in the right direction, make no mistake it is not pretty as I am almost repainting him. The only thing I count as done is the face after touching the cheeks a bit.

re-paint1.JPG

thanks for looking.
  10. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Well this looks no different from my other pictures :( It looked different on my lap top last night. Maybe I need to layoff the egg nogg, nah. Oh well.
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I like the additional work you have done on the White Mike. It makes the cloak come more alive.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yes Mike,
    This looks better. You have more contrast and therfore your white looks more white.
    (UHHH)

Marc
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike, first of all, you have a great first bust effort here. I'm glad to hear you liked it and hope to see you doing more in the future. I agree with the others, a bit more contrast would make it have a tad more depth. I really like where you're going on the new touch-ups, keep us posted!

Jay H.
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mike,
    Very nice for the first bust.
    Cheers,
    John