1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Teutoburg Forest AD9

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Alex Long, Nov 23, 2013.

1. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Super looking face!!

Bob
    Alex Long likes this.
  2. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    groundwork is great, thanks for the SBS, looking forward to seeing the figures painted.

zane
    Alex Long likes this.
  3. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking fantastic mate I agree those metallic paints are looking good think I will be investing love the way you have posed these figures adds so much to the scenario .
    Following this with interest
    Cheers Chris
    Alex Long likes this.
  4. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So good - cant wait to see these in situ. Meanwhile really enjoying your sbs posts.
    Cheers
    Mat
    Alex Long likes this.
  5. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    The Scale 75 Gold n' Alchemy set which arrived on Friday has been tested out on the Roman. Again I'm very impressed with this set of paints, really smooth fine pigments and a nice set of Alchemy colours which marry nicely with those included in the steel set (you get two shades of pink and a green) enabling a variety of reflected light effects.

_DSC4930.JPG _DSC4931.JPG _DSC4932.JPG

While I was waiting for Royal mail to try and destroy the paints by squeezing them through my letterbox I laid down the pre-highlights on the Germans clothing and roughly sketched in the pattern on his cloak. All with Jo Sonja.

_DSC4927.JPG _DSC4928.JPG _DSC4929.JPG

Thanks for looking

Alex.
  6. Ferris A Fixture

Golds are indeed also looking good Alex.

I'm very interested to see how you proceed after laying down the pre-highlights. Interesting technique.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    Alex Long likes this.
  7. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    A quick update to show the progress on the German's cloak. I've also started to lay down the mid tones on the tunic. As usual, all in Jo Sonjas.

_DSC4938.JPG _DSC4939.JPG _DSC4940.JPG _DSC4942.JPG

Thanks for looking,

Alex.
    Borek, debrito and tiberius57 like this.
  8. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Alex
    Look great I really do like your style of art work this is going to come together as a wonderful piece full of movement and atmosphere really looking forward to seeing this develop more .
    Cheers Chris
    Alex Long likes this.
  9. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Another update on the progress of the Germanic warrior. This time tunic and trousers have received some paint.

_DSC4946.JPG _DSC4947.JPG _DSC4948.JPG _DSC4949.JPG

Thanks for looking

Alex.
    Borek, tiberius57 and Ferris like this.
  10. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome progress! Love what you did so far! It was already an inspiration for me when I build my latest Dacian diorama.
    Thanks a lot for sharing your art and will follow with great interest! (y)
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    Alex Long likes this.
  11. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Another update on the Germanic Warrior. This time the shield.

_DSC4950.JPG _DSC4951.JPG _DSC4952.JPG _DSC4953.JPG _DSC4954.JPG

This guy's getting close to the finish line now.

Thanks for looking.

Alex.
    storm_zh, Mat Lambert, Ferris and 5 others like this.
  12. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Very nice choice of colors and a cracking paintjob!
    Cheers, Martin
    Alex Long likes this.
  13. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Fantastic paintwork!
    Suberb!
    Ciao by Maco
    Alex Long likes this.
  14. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Like a lot what you did with this guy! Super! Awesome work on the shield and not only!
    Will follow closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    Alex Long likes this.
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Alex.(y)
    Alex Long likes this.
  16. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Glad to see progress on this vignette and figures. Really really good art work on the Germanic warrior and his shield. Like them in all aspects.

By the way, Alex, I see that you use Jo Sonja's paint quite often. In your personal opinion, have you observed any major difference between Jo Sonja's and the acrylics paint from other well-known brands such as Vallejo, Andrea and Scale75? Additionally, aside from paint, do you also use any types of medium from Jo Sonja's ? I am also considering trying the Jo Sonja's paint but would like to get advice from people like you having experience of using this brand which is relatively new to me. Thanks a lot.
    Alex Long likes this.
  17. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Thanks Jason.

For me the Jo Sonja work best used on a wet palette, they can last for well over a month and still be workable, Vallejo and Andrea tend to dry out quicker which I think is down to the medium they use. JS are always guaranteed matt finish. I prefer the JS for layered blending as they tend to absorb into the previous layer better than Vallejo/Andrea which again is down to the medium in these paints which I think creates a slight barrier. The opacity of the JS is less than the other paints so more layers are required but they don't tend to build up as I always keep them thin. I only really use water to thin the JS but will occasionally use Vallejo Matt Medium and water for filters as the medium holds the pigment more evenly than water for filtering over larger areas. As to the Scale 75 paints I only have the metallics at the moment but I am so impressed with them I will be buying a set of the regular colours to try out.
    One of the other reasons I like the JS is the colour range and how close it is to that available in oils, being brought up using oils I like the colour mixing rather than relying too much on pre-mixed sets. Also you get a lot of paint for your money, they have to be the best value paints out there.

Alex.
    storm_zh likes this.
  18. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Hi Alex, thank you so much for your detailed advice and experience sharing. It is really helpful. I will certainly give the JS paint a try in the near future. I have also bought the Scale75 metallic color set (steel) but it still is on the way; glad to hear that its result is impressive!
    Alex Long likes this.
  19. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Hi Alex ... incredibly illustrative and excellent workmanship progress. Fantastic work with the terrain. I need to find result here when it is done. Great work(y)

Cheers Borek
    Alex Long likes this.
  20. deniss New Member

I really like what you are doing here,especially your use of height that you have created
    thanks for sharing it