1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Testors Dullcote

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by CornishPike, May 15, 2011.

1. CornishPike New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi,
    I've just spent over an hour on the web trying to source some Testors Dullcote, paint on not aerosol in the UK and come up with a total blank. Does anyone know where I can get some or failing that suggest a good alternative. Cheers,Rick
  2. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I didn't know you could get the paint on stuff. The aerosol stuff works great if you haven't used it.
    But I'm guessing you want brush on stuff for more intricate parts.
  3. CornishPike New Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes, I do, I suppose I could always spray some into a pot and brush it on, I did try some Winsor and Newton matt varnish yesterday but even after warming it until it goes clear as per W&N's instrictions it didn't go to a flat matt finish. I need it to flatten the soldiers coat colour on a ECW New Model Army Musketeer being as the crimson oil paint I've used looks quite glossy even after hightlighting and shading.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    A fellow Cheshire dweller. Give Vallejo decal fix a go Rick.
    Carl.
  5. CornishPike New Member

United-Kingdom
    I will, Thanks Carl.
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    For the community edification, let us know the results :)

Welcome and fascinating link in your signature (y) Now we have a place to turn for research!
  7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Grant,
    Try ITI Trimetal Vernis, Synthetic matt. It is a European mat varnish and works great. You should be able to get some easier than Dullcote.
    You can also thin it and airbrush it if you need.
    Cheers
    John
  8. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
  9. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, that is great stuff :) Armour and Airplane guys dig it too (y)
  10. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thank Gary,

I have been looking for a UK source for this-just ordered 2 bottles of the brush on.

Keith
  11. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    If its anything like the spray stuff (either rattle can or in the bottle for airbrush use) you have to be careful brushing it on. It can very easily soften the undercoat, especially if its enamel or acrylic, and a few extra brush strokes can strip the base coat. Not sure about over oils, they seem a little less sensitive once they are dry. I just sprayed some on a fig that I painted with oils and it worked great, but I would be wary of brushing it on.
  12. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
  13. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello mate, try eBay - that's how I managed to get hold of some. Actually I barely use it, but do make sure you mix it very well if you do ever get hold of any.

When it first goes on, it's actually the glossiest thing you ever saw, makes you think "Oh, dear. A big disaster!" then it dulls reassuringly over time. Paint it on as thin as you can run it.

Sambaman on here is a very accomplished exponent of using it to great effect on his busts.

I've tried artists' matt varnish & the Humbrol stuff, but Dullcote is the best, full stop.