1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Testors Dullcote Lacquer thinning

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by BESPJL, Sep 7, 2019.

1. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Hi,

I've seen a lot of comments on this matter but I really need to bring it up again.

For Testors Dullcote Lacquer will the the Tamiya Lacquer Thinner (yellow cap) be good or is it better to thinn it with W&N White Spirit?

Thanks in advance.

Chers,
    Paulo
  2. socko47 Active Member

United-States
    Paulo, I cannot speak from personal experience but your question seems to have the answer within. Lacquer and white spirits are different spirits (not for drinking :cool:) and are not interchangeable as solvents for dilution of paint. While I have heard good things about Tamiya lacquer Thinner ( it seems to sell out quickly from the local hobby shop), I would go to the local DIY store and buy a pint for a lot less cost. My thinking is this not not about the fineness of the pigment in a paint but the solvent. I am hoping my response will get others to give their opinions from their actual experience.
    theBaron likes this.
  3. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Thanks Socko47.

One of the reasons I spoke of the Tamiya product it's because I already have it.
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Paulo,
    The Home stores Lacquer thinner works fine and for using in the airbrush I use a 50/50% mix. I also use the thinner to clean my bad paint brushes to get out dried paint and then condition the brushes with w/n brush conditioner and cleaner. Also to take paint stains of off my glass work bench top. You get a lot of thinner for a few nickels.
    Cheers
    John
    BESPJL likes this.
  5. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    John,
    Thank you.

But since I've the Tamiya one this one will do, right?
  6. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States

My question would be.....why do you want to thin Testors Dullcote lacquer?
  7. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Wayneb,

I want to thin it because I'm afraid that if I apply it directly it creates a white surface.
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Only if you apply too thick a layer, perhaps, or if you have applied an acrylic gloss coat to your piece. I use DullCote in rattlecans, on my scale models, and the only time I ever had anything happen, was when the acrylic I applied as an undercoat for decaling (Future floor coating) turned a little cloudy. But as the DullCote lacquer cured, it went clear, and flat.

I have sprayed DullCote from the rattlecan on figures I painted with acrylics, with no ill effects.

As Doc and John have noted, if you're going to thin the DullCote at all, it's a lacquer, and mineral spirits won't work properly. But yeah, Tamiya's lacquer thinner ought to be fine. I use a generic lacquer thinner from an automotive supply store, myself.

Hope that helps!

Prost!
    Brad
  9. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Thank you al for the aid. (y)