1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Templar Knight XIIc. 90mm

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by marta, Mar 10, 2013.

1. marta Active Member

United-Kingdom
    My first historical piece. Templar Knight from Pegaso Miniatures.
    Finished sometime in November 2012. Painted only with acrylics.
    I don't really know what else could I say.
    Well maybe only that the sides of the stairs are black now, but I forgot to take photos before I gave him away.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

BTW, how can I attach,not post, a photo here ?
    (edit: I guess I found it;p)

cheers

'eM

Attached Files:

Theodoros, Maki, salonikios and 16 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very well done Marta.
    Carl.(y)
  3. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    I like it , you did a very nice job, only for my liking i would add a bit of highlights on the face
  4. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes very nice, impressive!
    Lots of blood has been spilt.
    Nice warm tones on the cloak.
    Dynamic pose and the painting has brought it out.
  5. gendegaia Active Member

Chile
    I like very much, well done Marta, (y) ;)
  6. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's some nice brush work Marta (y)!!

Joe
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's some nice brush work Marta (y)!!

Joe
  8. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    My apologies for the double post. I got a message indicating that the 'Server did not respond in time. Try again.' So, I clicked 'Post Reply' again and got the double.

Joe
  9. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
  10. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Bloody marvelous!
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Awesome work.

Marc
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very nice indeed Marta blood work is excellent just the right amount IMO, only minor thing I'd would change is add a touch of sweat on the forehead (y)

Steve
  13. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice indeed and the 'blood splatter' which is so easy to overdo or look false, is very well executed.
    Gary
  14. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Perfect work all over.
    Only two things, I see the cross of the chest a bit asymmetric, and the skin tones maybe, are a bit dark, but it´s a question of taste or context.
    Top level painting.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
  15. marta Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thx guys for your feedback.
    I'm really glad you like him. And I agree with most of your remarks.
    The face surely could be better. There should be at least one more highlight... or two. But I'm still a bit scared to push contrast on the face far enough. Hopefuly with next pieces I'll gain more confidence to do so.
    When it comes to the sweat on the forehead, I'm not sure if it isn't there already. I can't remember excactly, but I did some on his temples, so there is a chance I did at least some on the forehead. But I'm not gonna bet on that;p
    The skincolour is deliberately dark, as there is quite hot and sunny in the Jerusalem, so I guess he got some suntan. But like I said, some last highlights are missing anyway.
    The cross is a bit assymmetric, but it was quite a pain to paint in general. Freehands are not my best skill, so I'm happy that the cross is there at all;p Next ones will be better (I hope;p).

cheers

'eM
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Marta,
    That is one excellent knight. Great job on the white.
    Cheers
    John
  17. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    One of the best renditions I've seen of this figure. The whites are superb and the blood spatter - while quite prominent - isn't too overdone.

The only thing I don't like about this figure (which is a sculpting, not a painting, issue) is the bare head. I think it's horrible. Far too "chimp-like", reminiscent of some of the poorer Verlinden sculpts. I much prefer the helmeted head, but for some reason most of the versions of this figure that I've seen have the bare "chimp" head.

It's a horrible figure to assemble as well (as me how I know!). But when all's said and done, you've made an outstanding job of a VERY tricky figure.

- Steve
  18. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Love this, the white is particularly good and the overall balance is right - not to over-done, well executed.

Alex.
  19. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I really like the paintwork on this one & it's correctly painted in all white not the mix of black & white so commonly & incorrectly portrayed. Pity it's been sculpted as clean shaven which is absolutely incorrect for a Knight Templar.

Geoff
  20. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Stunning work. I think the skin tone is spot on..as you say Jerusalem got plenty of sun.
    Great whites and I love the shading of the shield. The blood looks excellent and the dynamics of the figure have been brought to life by the superb painting.
    Gells