1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Templar Knight Jerusalem

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John van Pelt, Jan 12, 2014.

1. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Been working on this buste, base acryl, finishing with oils. Still a little bit wet. Comments more than welcome..it is not finished 70% I guess. Greets John.

Attached Files:

Meehan34, swralph, sd0324 and 2 others like this.
  2. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Beautiful work! Cheers Borek
    John van Pelt likes this.
  3. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Nicely done. This is such a great bust.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    looking good.
    For my taste the black should be more black......it's to grey.
    And for the white: Highlighting more with white will give you white.
    These comments are for the last 30 %.

Marc
  5. swralph A Fixture

looking really good
  6. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    @Marc, it was not my intention to paint the cape black, so this is the colour I picked. The photo is a little bit flat, in reality the cape is more 'blueish'.
    Keep u posted with the progress. greetz John.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello John,
    Iff you call him a templar knight he has to be painted in black and white with a red cross.
    Dig up some information about the templars for you.
    If you paint him blue, he could not be a templar knight and not with a red cross on the tunic.
    If you want the use blue for easy highlighting of black then I could advice you to mix indigo (let the oil soak out totally) with sepia. Then you have a great black what can be highlighted with white. The darkest shades are painted with pure black.

Behaviour and dress

It was Bernard de Clairvaux and founder Hugues de Payens who devised the specific code of behaviour for the Templar Order, known to modern historians as the Latin Rule.
    [IMG]
    One of the many reported flags of the Knights Templar
    The knights wore a white surcoat with a red cross and a white mantle also with a red cross; the sergeants wore a black tunic with a red cross on the front and a black or brown mantle.The white mantle was assigned to the Templars at the Council of Troyes in 1129, and the cross was most probably added to their robes at the launch of the Second Crusade in 1147, when Pope Eugenius III King Lous VII of France, and many other notables attended a meeting of the French Templars at their headquarters near Paris. According to their Rule, the knights were to wear the white mantle at all times, even being forbidden to eat or drink unless they were wearing it.
    The red cross that the Templars wore on their robes was a symbol of martyrdom, and to die in combat was considered a great honor that assured a place in heaven.
    Sometimes a married man was allowed to join if he had his wife's permission, but he was not allowed to wear the white mantle.

Marc
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    While I agree it should be black I would imagine in the desert sun it wouldn't take long to get bleached to a grey like the figure I like it myself looks well, excellent paint job (y)
    Steve
  9. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Maybe the cloak should be a little bit more black, but than again with the desert sun.....
    Heres some more progress, i painted more contrast jn the face, did the shield, belt etc.
    95% finished.
    Greetings john.

Attached Files:

10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like the face and the shield, they are absolute fantastiqe
    But the white and black are not what it should be in my humble opinion.
    If black is bleached trough the sun it is gonna turn into a grey, not into bluegrey.
    But I have explained it before.........

Marc
  11. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Im calling this one done!
    Greetz John.

Attached Files:

12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi John, I think you did a great job, particularly the stunning work on that shield.
    Best wishes, Gary.
  13. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands