1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Tellos Agras - Macedonomachos 1902 - 1907

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Akritas, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    DSCN0648.JPG

Once in a while there comes a figure which you just have to have, build and paint. This is the case with me and Macedonomachos by Legacy Miniatures. The figure comes from a troubled yet proud period for Greece. The Macedonomachoi are my opinion another example of the Greek spirit resolution and heroism. :)

I remember when at the age of 9 or 10 I read the book "Secrets of the Marsh" (Τα Μυστικά του Βάλτου") by Penelope Delta and which told the real life story of Tellos Agras, an officer in the Greek Army who was sent to organise the Macedonomachoi and lost his life in the process. I cried my eyes out when the hero of the book died. :( Tellos Agras who was also a poet was a pseudonym for Sarantis Tellos Agapinos and he is pictured below in the middle.

350px-Agras-Tellos-Agapinos_Nikiforos-Ioannis-Demestihas_Kalas-Constantine-Sorros.jpg

DSCN0648.JPG DSCN0645.JPG DSCN0649.JPG

Going through the spares box I came along this dog from Andrea and I thought of building this small vignette. Early days yet and hopefully I will have something more to show tomorrow.

Comments of course welcome throughout the build thread

Enjoy the rest of the weekend
    Nicolas
    Steve, LVM, billyturnip and 1 other person like this.
  2. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Nicolas,
    really very nice sculpting.......the word CRISP detail sums this up,nice subject too!
    Best Regards
    Paul
    www.paulblaber1.moonfruit.com
  3. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great idea adding the dog. Look forwards to your paintwork.
    Carl.(y)
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Nicolas I'm really looking forward to seeing this coming together. Lovely crisp sculpting and the addition of the dog will work really well. Greek history ancient and modern continues to provide us with a wealth of interesting and colourful figures.
    Despite having spent much of my teens and all of my 20s hopping about Athens and the Greek islands I'm ashamed that I know next to nothing of recent Greek history.
    I did however share a table with Melina Mercouri at a bar during a Pasok rally in Afandou in Rhodes, just one of the many wonderful things that happened to me on these trips.
    Cheers
    Derek
  5. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback! I am really looking forward to getting my hands dirty on this.

By the way the figure is a true 54mm scale and the word CRISP is indeed defining the sculpting. In terms of fit it is also spot on with the plugs being 100% accurate and even the feet plug into the base exactly.

Because of the size I may need to change the base (it's almost as high as the figure). I make my own bases having access to an unlimited supply of wood since my father is into woodworking. I do provide my own equipment though...:)

Del you are so fortunate having had the chance to see Greece as a teenager! Nothing like enjoying this country during a carefree age:). As for sharing a table with Melina...wow!

More this afternoon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. tefaet Active Member

Spain
    Nice work ,have you photos very big?

Congratulations
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work on this Greek.

marc
  8. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.:)

I constructed another wooden base, much smaller than what I originally used in the pics, so that it doesn't swallow the figure up. I am sculpting the grounwork tonight and will post some more pictures tomorrow.

Regards
    Nicolas