1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique TE Lawrence, 1/12th scale bust, FeR Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Mar 2, 2017.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

My next project is this delightful bust released by FeR Miniatures (Fernando Ruiz), sculpted by Raul Garcia Latorre of TE Lawrence, better known as Lawrence of Arabia.

I've read a number of books about Lawrence, some written by him and some about him. An undeniably fascinating and flawed character, he remains one of the most enigmatic and romantic heroes to emerge from the Great War.

The bust has a very strong likeness to Lawrence himself (not Peter O'Toole who played Lawrence in the movie) and should present quite a challenge. Not shown in these photos is the ceremonial Bedouin dagger and sheath that fits into the front of the chest.

The bust arrived last night and apart from giving it a quick wash in warm soap water and cut off a couple of very small pour mould sprues, the bust required no preparation. I've primed it in black and then over sprayed white Tamiya Fine Primer to create a pre-shade effect.

I hope you like it. All comments welcome.
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg
  2. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    :wideyed:!!

Shoot Tony I didn't even know this bust was out. You have not yet put a brush to him but, I'm excited already.

Joe
    anstontyke, tonydawe and stoffy01 like this.
  3. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    This is a beautifully accurate looking bust, and the way it looks just in the primed stage could be viewed as a finished piece. Looking fowards to seeing what your mastery will produce, exited.
    Chris.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    He likes your lemonade. Great bust of "Ahrans!"
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

A lovely looking sculpt I have visited his house near the Tank Museum in Dorset , an amazing place and so full of atmosphere

Looking forward to this

Nap
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to bringing this bust alive.

As part of my research I've found a photograph of the shemag and robes worn by Lawrence in Damascus, given to him by Prince Faisal. The robe is beautifully ornate and detailed, and I've decided to use this photo as my reference for painting. If anyone lives near the Ashmoleon Museum in Oxford and wants to pop in and take some better photos of the robes for me, I'd be very appreciative.

56671fccb71e630405afed02a73faab8.jpg
  7. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely done.

Mike
    anstontyke likes this.
  8. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I look forward to your work on this one Tony.
    Regards
    anstontyke and Wings5797 like this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great choice Tony.
    This is a real cracking sculpt and I hope that it is a good as it looks here.
    I have seen a few figures of Lawrence down the years and this is the best of them all and is good to see my first view with a painter I rate as one of the best.
    Itching to see how you tackle him
    All the best
    Keith
    anstontyke likes this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    anstontyke and Scotty like this.
  11. Walks Active Member

Looking forward to your progress on this Tony, got my eye on this bust myself.
    anstontyke likes this.
  12. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    This is a great bust - I am sure you are going a fantastic job with it. Looking forward to seeing him come alive (y)

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. Geoff Charman A Fixture

That looks stunning just in primer and pre-shading Tony, I shall be watching this with interest as this bust is a must have for me as it has such character.
    anstontyke likes this.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for all your comments fellas, I really appreciate them.

We had a public holiday yesterday, so a long weekend of modelling for me. Got quite a lot done too, as you can see from the photos below.
    TEL 5.jpg TEL 6.jpg TEL 7.jpg TEL 8.jpg TEL 9.jpg
    Mat Lambert, OldTaff, Jeff T and 11 others like this.
  15. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Once again I'm just :wideyed:!

Love it, and you are not even done yet :D!

Joe
    tonydawe and anstontyke like this.
  16. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That looks absolutely fantastic.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Joe, thanks mate. No, not finished yet mate, but getting closer.

Hi Andrew, thanks mate. I'm glad you like it.

What doesn't show up well in these pictures is that the white stripes on the robes are actually painted with a white pearl acrylic colour that shimmers in the light. It's intended to replicate the look of silk and under certain light conditions, it looks quite effective.
  18. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    wow, stunning painting, i love the haunted look of his features.

tony
    tonydawe likes this.
  19. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    You've done a great job over one weekend, I can't wait to see it finished now.
    Scotty.
  20. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Absolutely stunning work Tony.