1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Taras Bulba, 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All

This is the 3rd of my three Irbis cossack figs started in the other thread.

This is a 75mm mounted fig representing Taras Bulba... an aging Zaporozhian Cossack, longing to see their former military glory returned... for his sons, Ostep and Andrei, and for himself while he could still join in for a final campaign. The current hetman was inclined to keep the peace with the cossack's traditional enemies, the Turks and Tatars, so Taras stirred the seche into a froth... replacing the hetman and steering the cossacks into attacking west at the Polish who were oppressing the Orthodox Ukrainian communities there. From there the story takes some surprising and sad twists.

I recommend the novel (by Gogal) to anyone who enjoys a good old fashioned adventure. There's also a Ukrainian made movie version (2009 in Ukrainian, there is a version with English subtitles) that was very well done and true to the original book. Much better than the Yule Brenner/Tony Curtis version.

The flesh is done and the coat has been based in "Dnieper Blue" and has the first and second highlight done. The mix for the blue is given in the thread... "Zaporozhian Cossack on foot"
    IMGP0978.jpg IMGP0979.jpg IMGP0980.jpg IMGP0981.jpg
    Comments and advice are always welcome.
    I've started on the horse... photos to follow shortly

Cheers

Colin
    tiberius57, Paul Kernan, crf and 3 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good progress Colin and great info too.
    I do like the way that these guys are coming together.
    Looking forward to your next steps.
    Thanks for posting the SBS's
    Cheers,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    The blue is awesome!
    I remember reading Gogol's novel many years ago. I should pick it up again. Triggers very old memories... Oh Boy...
    Cheers my friend,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Can't wait to see him/them in Hamilton. Should be good fun. Press on old chap.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Keith, Zeno and Colin.
    Reading the book, watching the modern remake of the movie and talking with the Old Man while researching the background for these figures tied the myths and histories of the cossacks (and my own family) together. This gave me an emotional tie to what I'm trying to do... not just putting colour on a hunk of resin. I don't know if it will make me paint any better but I think it definitely enhances the process.

I really hope to get at least one, maybe two done for Hamilton. Weren't Guelph and London spring shows as well? I think there's one in Buffalo in April too.

Colin
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Update...
    The blue has been hit with three layers of shadow... 1st with a touch of Dark Prussian Blue. 2nd, a bit more D.P.Blue and a touch of German Grey. Finally a spot of Black added to the 2nd shadow... mostly used in the deepest creases and as a delineation between the blue and other colours to come.
    IMGP1028.jpg IMGP1029.jpg IMGP1030.jpg IMGP1031.jpg IMGP1032.jpg IMGP1033.jpg

Started in on Taras' horse as well. Whole horse based in Chocolate Brown. Once a good base was achieved, I mixed 60:40 Chocolate Brown and German Camo Brown Black and applied a thin layer from just below the mid-line up to the top of the hindquarters, shoulders/chest, neck and head. Another layer with more Brown Black was laid over the first but starting higher up. Then a final layer with Black added to the mix was applied to the top of the rump, high on the shoulders, high on the neck and around ears, eyes, top of snout and jowls. Also applied this mix to the lower legs. I tried to move the brush in the direction of hair growth.
    IMGP1034.jpg IMGP1036.jpg IMGP1037.jpg IMGP1038.jpg IMGP1039.jpg
    This is very early in the process of painting the horse. The underbelly will be lightened and then highlighting and shading can start, as well as some washes to soften all the transitions.

Colin
    Aveleira, tiberius57 and billyturnip like this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    That's a fine looking nag Colin.
    I am looking forward to to this one developing.....Ages since I painted a horse, must dig one out.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    A little progress tonight... The red of the outer coat with the slit sleeves... Based with Carmine. Highlight by adding Sunny skintone. Shadows made first with Red 926 and then Red Black.
    IMGP1046.jpg IMGP1047.jpg IMGP1048.jpg IMGP1049.jpg

Some more touches on the horse hide. The horse blanket is based with a mix of German Feldgrau (Panzer Aces) + English Uniform + Black. Highlight by adding more Feldgrau to the base and shaded by adding Black. A black border stripe was added in Black and washed with the base colour to "soften" the black.
    IMGP1050.jpg IMGP1051.jpg

As usual, my pics suck :oops:

Colin
    Aveleira and tiberius57 like this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Again the flesh looks well Colin,
    You may benefit by adding another darker shadow to the outer coat. The highlights are fine it just looks, and it may be the photos, that it will give a bit more dimension. Mind you I am going through a dark shadow period with my reds, using almost neat sienna and umber in places:eek:
    It's coming together very nicely Mate, I can't wait to see the horse completed.
    Keith
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Keith
    The shadows are a bit darker than what shows in the pics... not a ton darker mind you. I'd be terrified to try such a huge contrast using sienna or umber like that... not confident I could make it look smooth enough. I assume you're using oils when you do this.
    A little more fiddling with the horse as I fill in some areas like hooves, mane/tail, one or two socks and detailing the face area and I think he'll really start to take shape. I think the addition of the tack, saddle and saddle flaps will serve to define the otherwise dark hide.

Thanx for the vote of confidence

Colin
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Update...
    A little bit of work done. The pistol in the sash is done. The sash is also done... I did a purple mix starting with Royal Purple + Prussian Blue. Highlighted by adding more purlpe. Shaded by adding Dark Prussian Blue. I tried a gold brocade (nicked from Martin's cossack sash) and then washed the sah with Citadel Leviathan Purple wash.
    IMGP1075.jpg IMGP1076.jpg IMGP1077.jpg IMGP1078.jpg IMGP1079.jpg IMGP1082.jpg
    The yellow cording on the coat is only first coat.

Cheers

Colin

Attached Files:

12. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Nice progress, my friend! I like the choice of colours. They work very well with the subject.
    Love the horse and when it will be done will look awesome!
    Cheers,
    Zzeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Zeno, I always appreciate your support. I wish Hamilton was a couple of more weeks away... There's not a chance in hell I'll get any of these done in time :unsure: I guess I'll have to wait for OMSS in May.

Colin