1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Tamiya's 1/35th Rommel

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jul 3, 2004.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I just picked up Tamiya's 1/35th scale minautization of their earlier 1/16th plastic Erwin Rommel kit. One word - superb! It replicates the larger lit exactly and in my view it is a better effort than Andea's recent metal offering. As it comes with another miniature German soldier (again a reduced 1/16th effort), there is no price comparison to be made, with Andrea's figure coming in at about $40 Canadian and Tamiya's at about $8.

http://www.etamiya.com/catalog/product_inf...roducts_id=2976

I have to admit that I bought the Andrea figure before I learned that the Tamiya effort was available. But when I opened the package, and after assembly, I found the peak on his hat was damaged. While trying to straighten it with a metal tool, his head snapped off, flew through the air and landed precisely on the heating vent before falling into my home's furnace (its not on this time of year but I'm not going huniting in there).

I bought the Tamiya figure to salvage a cheaper head for the Andrea figure. After looking at both, I have to conclude that the plastic figure is better so I'll be writing the headless Andrea one off.

Hope this is of interest.

Colin
  2. Einion Well-Known Member

Andrea figures are $40 over there?! Geez, no wonder people are complaining about their prices. I can't figure this out, Pegaso are the expensive ones on this side of the pond and are actually cheaper in the US.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Tamiya kit Colin, will look out for it.

Einion
  3. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Pegaso's prices are going up as well now. I hate the fact that figures are this expensive now, but what do we do? Stop buying them? Hardly the choice. No I don't feel that these companies are miking a killing on us over here either. It's just this crazy exchange rate these days.

Jim Patrick
  4. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Jim , I don't think that it's the exchange rate .Pegaso and Andrea figures are expensive anywhere. It really gets to me the fact that these people are monopolising the market and there's nothing we can do about it. even though most of the Pegaso kits are simply beautiful , I think that they're taking full advantage of the situation.No wonder small firms can't keep up.Believe me I know what I'm talking about here

Stephen Mallia
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Jim, what I can't get is that Spain and Italy both use the same currency now so they're subject to the same base exchange rate. Hence the Andrea figures (which are an okay price in Europe) should be reasonably priced there too I would have thought, considering that Pegaso figures (which are quite pricey to very pricey here) can be found for less than the straight Euro/US$ conversion... not that I'm complaining mind, I'm going to be taking advantage of it soon :)

I just wish the same were true of the Andrea figures, which would make them a great deal, like maybe 15 bucks for the <cough> Tom Cruise figure!

Einion