1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Tamiya primer

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by samson, Nov 9, 2014.

1. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I tried Tamiya primer yesterday as I could not find the brand in the post below both the white and grey went on thin covered well and did not hide much detail .this is a lacquer primer in a can just getting back into things but was pretty happy with it also bought a few jar colors for a plastic kit I want to get finished and they were really nice out of the airbrush. first time painting in almost 4 years and using this brand has been good so far
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Samson,
    Other general brands that are available in the U.S, are things like 'Humbrol', or 'Citadel', primers! (just for future reference). However, I am glad things are working out for you!(y)

Ps,' Halfords' is a 'Auto', primer! ..I am sure one of our American friends can give you an equivalent type of product.

Regards,

Mark
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I recently started using Tamiya's Surface Primer L on aircraft models (I think it's also a lacquer, but I'm not sure). I saw results like yours, that is, it covered well, without obscuring detail. I have also used it on resin figures, but haven't used it on any metal figures yet.

I was using automotive primers for everything, but they were a little coarser in grain, and also, I had a number of cans where the nozzle got clogged, with at least 75% of the paint left in the can. I tried Tamiya's primer, just to see how it would work, and now, I will use it for any of my scale models, certainly, and probably for my metal figures, too.

Prost!
    Brad
  4. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey all. yeah I tried duplicator primer that is a automotive primer and got much better results with the Tamiya. hey mark the local hobby shop does not carry either of those brands but have heard they are good as well .hey Brad if I am not mistaken I thought I saw a small can of the Tamiya marked for metal but could be wrong I will try to find out for you
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I believe you're correct. I use Tamiya USA's website to order supplies, and I recall seeing it, too. It's a smaller size than the "L" primers, 100ml, I think.
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Oh, and using Tamiya's own primer was yet another lesson to me that I have often let my Dutchy senses lead me to the wrong decision, just to save a buck. :D It was worth it to spring for the Tamiya primer.

Prost!
    Brad
  7. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yes I have learned the same thing if I airbrush I will use that brand of thinner same as the paint so there are no headaches the couple Xtra bucks is worth it and once again you can't go wrong with Tamiya just tried the glue and tape and I am a believer LOL
  8. Dad4 Member

I've been a loyal Tamiya paint/primer user for years! I prime my figures and models with the Tamiya Fine primer and really like the way it covers and tightens up the details really well. It's a lacquer, so it really has a powerful smell, but it's worth it. I have Vallejo grey primer and it seems ok, but I'm a creature of habit and very rarely stray from what works...which is why painting fleshtones with acrylics was a big move for me. Also with Tamiya paints I use their lacquer thinner with their acrylic paints and it works super!

Brian
  9. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Never thought of using their lacquer thinner do you use it for brushing or airbrush?
  10. Dad4 Member

Hey again,

I used to try brush painting details and figures with Tamiya acrylics, but that was a really long time ago and have moved on to brush painting almost exclusively with Vallejo. Now, airbrushing is a different story. I learned about a year ago that Tamiya acrylics are a different kind of acrylics...kinda a lacquer based acrylic(?). Anyway, when I changed from using the regular Tamiya thinner to the lacquer thinner, in the green cap, the paint sprayed easier and a whole lot smoother. Really works well. If I'm going to do the "Rinaldi Method" of hairspray chipping I will thin it with distilled water. Very effective.

I just primed my newest figures with the Tamiya Fine primer and then sprayed them with a thin coat of Tamiya semi-gloss black...thinned with the Tamiya lacquer thinner. Once again, really good coverage and no issues. I've never tried to brush paint the Tamiya paints thinned with the lacquer thinner. Hope all this helps.

Brian
  11. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for all the info I will try that when I airbrush next time
  12. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    J hey Dad can I ask you your paint to thinner ratio for both the lacquer and airbrush thinner for airbrushing as far as hand brush painting goes I like testors a lot just recently got some valiejo but have not tried it yet
  13. Dad4 Member

Hey Samson,

I don't have a tried and true ratio for the lacquer thinner to Tamiya paints. I thin the paint to a consistency of milk...usually more to the thin side. I have an Iwata airbrush and mix the paints in a separate mixing cup and then put it in the airbrush cup. It goes on smooth as silk. Just make sure the Tamiya lacquer is the green capped bottle. You'll love the Vallejo brush paints. I've learned, from this site, that the better the brushes and the thinner you work the paint the better it works. I've had to get used to working the paints in multiple thin layers rather than trying to get the coverage in one stroke. Have a great time. Don't hesitate to ask if more advice is needed.

Brian
  14. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Dad4 thanks for all the info I also have a iwatta it's a great airbrush and yes I have learned and will be buying better brushes when I can they do make a big difference being new to painting with a brush I bought a decent brush and you can tell from what I was using thanks again rob