1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Tale of the North

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mariner, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Finished this wonderful sculpt by Castle Miniatures yesterday...bits of touching up to do (the camera doesn't lie:oops:) but overall he turned out much better than my photography presents.
    Many thanks to Brian Snaddon for the fabulous job he did on this figure, which inspired me to try it, and highly recommend it for a relaxing and fun project.
    I welcome your suggestions, any improvement in my work is due to the people here, as there is no club or fellow modellers (except ship and railroad guys) in my area.
    He's done in acrylics, oils and a touch of printer's ink.
    Mary

Attached Files:

Steve, John Bowery, Edorta and 4 others like this.
  2. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Hey, thats really good! Need better pics though
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I was thinking the same Mary.
    Excellent finish though,
    Carl.(y)
  4. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Model photography eludes me:notworthy:...hope this is better.
  5. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Extremely well done. Try a different background (grey or something). The camera is always cheating with black or with on the background.
    On light from front left, and one from front right. If you have it a light from above.
    Try different diafragma's and apperture time's. Choose the best. That's all.

Marc
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is a big big leap forward Mary ! you don't half churn them out and the pics are not all that bad.
    I see you put some washes in the metallics this time.

Ron (y)
  8. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Well done Mary,you've did this excellent figure justice.Regarding" the camera never lies" i would disagree as i've seen photographs of some of the top painters figures which look great but can be a bit of a let down when seen in the flesh.Fortunately my figures look better in the flesh,so i've been told.It took me many moons to get a reasonable picture of my figures.It's just a matter of mucking around with the background,lighting and camera settings but i don't spend too much of my time with taking pictures as i'd rather be painting.
    If you need any help with taking reasonable pictures you only need to ask.
    Brian
  9. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Thank you, all!
    Brian, a small quiver with a couple of weapons inside also came with this kit, but I couldn't find anywhere to attach it, so rather than screw up, it went into the spare parts box...did you encounter that?
  10. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Nice job. The painting fits the mood of the figure. I think the fur on his back turned out especially well. That's something I'm struggling with on one of my current projects. Well done!
  11. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    It fits at the back of the fur cloak somewhere but i didn't particularly like it so i left it off.
    Brian
  12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mary an excellent finish , especially like your choice of colours and the painting of the fur cloak.(y)
    Cheers Ken
  13. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Mary your painting is coming on in leaps and bounds, your experience with canvas shows and it was just a matter of adapting to the new medium. You have really captured the atmosphere of the time with this one-by the way in Brian you have picked a great role model.

Keith
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The quiver goes at the back under the fur Mary.
    Just in case you wanted to use it,
    Carl.

Attached Files:

15. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Thanks Carl and and Brian...I did put it there but it seemed so big I wasn't sure if it was correct, so left it out. But in the photo, it looks kind of neat :)
    I was a competitive archer for years so you'd think I would have known:notworthy:!
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Another fine job Mary, you're definitely developing your own recognizable style. It still amazes me how fast you churn out completed figures:eek: I'm still chipping away at the Red Lancer and that's been over a month.

Keep up the great work!!
    Hope to see you in Guelph

Colin
  17. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Great job Mary!!! Congrats. I agree. You are developing your own style.
    Hope to see you in Guelph, too.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  18. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Thank you Keith, your too kind.
    Brian
  19. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great work Mary ,I see a big improvement in your painting with this one.

Cheers David
  20. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mary,
    Very nice finish and you are churning these out at a fair pace.
    Cheers
    John