1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Taking Photos of your sculpts

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by TorMag, Mar 12, 2006.

1. TorMag Member

Gang, this might have been covered before, but I got a kick out of this. I frequent the Clubhouse alot too, on Saturday, for some reason the forum was down there so I looked at some of the other stuff on the site and found a link to site about taking photos. Here is the link

Taking Photos

Anyway, I had already made myself a cheap photo tent out of foam core and pillow cases. I had used the photo tent to take the shots of my first sculpt. Anyway I was not happy with the photo's from the tent and was getting ready to ditch it until I found this article. Now, I am really happy with my $10 photo tent. Here is a before and after shot (after reading the article that is). This is the same photo just following what he said. If anyone is interested, I will post a picture of my cheap photo tent.

[IMG][IMG]

Tor
  2. georges64 Member

France
    Thanks for the link Tor,yes post a picture of your tent,I'm interested too. :)
    Good sculpting of your bust too (y) What scale is it ?
    georges
  3. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I have to be honest, and say I prefer the original. Although I like the background, I feel you may have gone too far with the levels and bleached out something of the original - it looks to my eyes now over - exposed. Just my opinion though

But thanks for the link
  4. TorMag Member

Georges - Thanks for the comments, the bust is a practice piece done at 1/5 scale. I will post a pic of the photo tent for you, it might be a couple of days.

Rob - yes it is a little too bleached out, guess I messed with the contrast a little too much. Still, I not going to dicth the tent now.

Tor
  5. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I think the tent is fine - it just looks like the processing on the PC may be overcooked
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tor, I'd like to see it.~Gary
  7. TorMag Member

BTW, you can get the oven I over-cooked the photo in for free. :) It is an application called PhotoPlus by Serif. It is a Photoshop type of application. Serif is pretty cool, they give away their earlier versions of the software for free when they upgrade to a new version.

PhotoPlus for free

Tor
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tor, Thanks for the link to Photo plus, may have to just try it out.~Gary
  9. TorMag Member

No problem. Can't beat the price......
  10. TorMag Member

As promised here is a pic of my cheap foam core and pillow case light tent. I basically made a box out of foam core, cut out that sides and attached a cheap white billow case to the sides. The white garbage bag is used to cover the front and goes over the camera. I use two of the cheap clamp on lights from home depot with 100 watt lights. You can see one of the lights upper left of photo.

[IMG]

I got the idea from this article.

Light Tent article

Tor
  11. georges64 Member

France
    Thanks for the photo and the link Tor (y)
    May try to do my own too those days ...
    georges