1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Taking a step back...

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Patrick Kirk, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Kirk New Member

For the last couple months I have been looking hard at the value my posts have added to the community as a whole…not sure, given the prevailing attitudes of many in the planet, they have been well received, value added, or quite frankly even understood.

Enjoy yourselves, and I leave you all with this final thought:
    Great achievements are not born from a single vision but from the combination of many discrete viewpoints that lead us to influencing change.
  2. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Patrick,

While I understand your frustration, Reconsider. You have always contributed to the site and you share your work with us.

Don't let the "eternal argument" get to you. The topic of History vs Aesthetics has been argued longer than you or I have been around (combined) and will be argued for much longer. No one is wrong.

This is a hobby. Let those who want to study minutae, enjoy themselves. I look at them like I look at the accountants at work. A necessary group who often times see things very differently from the rest of us, but in the end, on the same team. lets just look at figgurs and have fun. There's much more to this site.

Remember what opinions are like........everyone has one. ;)

Lou
  3. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Hear Hear...

Keith
  4. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Patrick

Lou has an opinion echoed by me as well, if we all looked at things the same,
    how boring life would be.... :)

Dave
  5. rdclaeps New Member

Hey Patrick,

You should take note of what it says above the 5 blue squares in your profile “Valued Contributor”. I think that sums up your participation in a nutshell.

so in any case, don’t let the door hit you in the @#@#

((sorry the devil made me do it. :eek:
  6. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Speaking personally, I don't want to see anyone leave the Planet, we are like an Ant colony, everyone has something to contribute and we all work for the greater good of our hobby.
    We all have our own views and the freedom to express them.
  7. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Patrick

I agree with Stephen. I wouldn't want to see anybody leave, no matter what the reason! We all have our own individual aproaches to the hobby; and it is just a hobby (although sometimes I wish it could be considered more), but means different things to different people.

Just looking back through your old posts and simply, "valued contributer" hits the nail on the head! Stick around! :)

Rob
  8. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Kirk, stay put whatever you do.
    Don't let them grind you down. If we all thought the same it would be a boring place. Anyway, as long as YOU are enjoying this hobby of ours and are contributing towards the Planet then that's all that counts. In my limited experience, most critics most of the time are fairly talentless people in the first place.

It is far easier to criticise somebody else's efforts that to have a go yourself. That's how you get these people.
    Chin up mate!
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dear Patrick,

Must i come to you, kneeling and say to you.
    "All the novice's here on the planet read your input. We novice's can learn so much of you. You have a contribution to the planet and to the whole galaxy.
    Don't leave.
    But stay with us, and help us all, specially all the novice's. We need you input, advice's, criticism, everything that you done in the past, and doing in the future here on the site."

If there is more that i can help you to stay on the planet, shoot me a note. ;)

Marc.
  10. stormtrooper New Member

Patrick my friend don't let them get you, at the end of the day its a hobby/passion and if you let them win you may as well turn your toes and from the few correspondences I have had with you this is not you. So pick up the gauntlet and stick that middle finger firmly in their faces.A jerk will always be a...

I enjoy your posts, I am not drawn often to post but I feel you should maintain your input and sod what the others think they obviously don't
  11. Pete_H New Member

Brother Patrick,
    I echo Lou's thoughts to the letter. Just enjoy yourself, answer questions you're able to answer, share your work and your thoughts, and remember why we're all here: because we enjoy "painting little men."
  12. fsdesimone Member

Patrick, I see no reason to leave unless you're simply looking for a break from things. If that's the case, then come back when you're ready (and you better have 5 or 6 new figures with you!!) ;)

Francesca
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Stuart, If you read the thread which I believe has led Patrick to think it best to bow out for a short break or maybe longer, I think you're going a bit overboard thinking that Patrick has been "ganged up on", and make the "them" you refer to look like bullies. Personally I respect Patrick's or anyone else's opinions, even if I do not share them, but to make someone else out to be the heavy because they're not in agreement with you is ridiculous if not immature.~Gary
  14. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Patrick,

I continue to value your many contributions. I think you still have much more to offer. I hope you will reconsider. The opinions of others are just that. Take them if they work, leave them if they don't. You are the master of your own art, and no one here has the authority (though some may try to claim it!) to do more than offer another view for your consideration. These many views, like grains of sand, hide the truth and must be sifted to yield their bounty.

Maybe its time to lurk a while and let things cool down, but I hope you will not leave altogether. We are all diminished when one such as you leaves our ranks. Plese reconsider.
  15. Brad S Member

Patrick,

Please reconsider! I think I know how you feel. Sometimes I feel like my 2 cents worth and even my painting, is only worth 1 cent, even bankrupt. But the Planet has a lot to offer for everyone. We need all novices and experts and all in between. We their comments. We can learn something from everyone. Whether its a good critique from an expert or the determination of a novice. Please stay. Your comments and advice is more valued than you think.

Brad Spelts
  16. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hey Patrick
    We all from time to time feel we are not appreiated
    and our views fall on deaf ears
    but take it from me you are a valued contributor
    I am only echoing what has been said already

As a community the planet would be so much the
    poorer........if it lacked contributors such as yourself

Take care Patrick

Frank