1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Taisho Teutonic Grand Master

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    OK, I normaly don't post WIP pictures, but one; I haven't posted much up lately, and two; I'm working frantically to get this done for Atlanta and I don't know that I'll get pictures taken of it until after that show, so here it is! This is an older piece sculpted by Young B. Song for Taisho Modeling. I've added the mustache and goatee with Aves. I've also added the small straps at his collar for the chain mail hood with lead foil. I'm making this chap a Teutonic Grand Master, so the most obvious addition was the hearaldry on his cloak. I've also added horns to the "Furry" Great Helm. Oh, his left arm is coming around and holding the great helm but those two items aren't quite done yet. What you see here is pretty much done so far. My goal was the look of a warrior that has seen the heat of battle at Tannenberg 1410. I've added staining to the cloak, sweat to his face, a black eye, cuts on his face, red eyes and an over all weary look. These pictures were taken at my desk in a hurry....sorry, they really SUCK! :eek: Once he's done I'll try a little harder to get good shots. Thanks for looking!

Jay H.

Attached Files:

unknown01, clubcat, gforceman and 7 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Jay,

extremly beautiful(y)
    The sweat are awesome and the white are very well done AND the fleshtones too.
    The heraldic??? is stunning.
    Congratulations
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent weathering on the helm, very nice job Jay.
    Carl.
  4. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Very nice Jay! I like the sweat and blood on the forehead, done very convincingly... what did you use to get that gloss look?
    Thanks for sharing -
    Scott
  5. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    He looks great,the heraldry is particuly well done.
    Andy
  6. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Looking really awesome and great heraldry, congrats (y)

stefano
  7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Jay,
    Stunning conversion and very nice heraldry. Great tired looking paint.
    PS, the dust effect is good also:D
    Cheers
    John
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Pedro, Carl, Scott, Andy, Stefano, John, many thanks for the kind comments gents!

Scott, the sweat is done with Future Floor wax after I dull coated. I used it straight from the bottle undiluted, painted with my small brush. Thanks for the kind words!

Jay H.
  9. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Excellent JOB!!!!! Love the crest on his heraldry and the sweat very nice!! Can't wait to see whats next form THE SAMBAMAN...
  10. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thats a nice piece, and you are doing a carefull and clean job on it my friens. Bravo

Costas
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    GReat work Jay,
    I really like the battle look you given him. Very realistic.
    Looking forward to your finished work (you gotta hurry)

marc
  12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jay, great conversion work, love the goatee it gives him a more mature look than the original. Nice touch with the blackeye and sweat.(y)

Cheers Ken
  13. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    really like this :)

and the sweat and black eye are great

Mark
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    fantastic work on the heraldry Jay, a real nice looking bust.

Steve(y)
  15. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Matt, Costas, Marc, Ken, Mark, Steve, many thanks for the kind words gentlemen!

Jay H.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jay,

The heraldry, sweat and other effects are fantastic but what I really like is the look you've achieved with the eyes and the eyebrows. You've given him a mournful, sad expression which seems entirely appropriate for a veteran
  17. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Will Combo play for Sambaman???

Yo Sambaman:

Pardon jour dust, amigo. . . no problem. Even though these are quicky
    pictures, I get the idea; loud and clear! Love the additions you're making
    and the work so far is first class. One of the things I noticed from you
    mentioning that you added the "facial hair" is that you've cleverly sculpted
    the hair into the face in the very same style as the way the hair of his
    haid was sculpted. (y) Impressive.

Well, when you get to Atlanta, as I now refer to the "headline" above,
    hopefully, the combo, . . . band, will play when they call out the big winner,
    and you can boogy right up to the podium and pick up your first place award.

Good luck, Jay,

Dancing to the tune of a different drummer in Kansas, . . . sans Toto,

Jayhawker
  18. Martin Vlcek Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Super , super, super
  19. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tony, Rick, Martin, thank you gents!

Rick, I'm glad you noticed. I did indeed try to stay in the "style" of the hair when I added those. Mr. Song makes it look easy!

Jay H.
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    WOW.......awesome work Jay. I hope you keep this one and it doesn't end up in a collector's case. Its a keeper. I'll give the floor wax a try on a piece I am working on.