1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sylmasta A+B, any good?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by simon1969, Nov 6, 2003.

1. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Title says it all really, is Sylmasta A+B any good?
    I'm used to using Milliput standard, how does it compare?

Cheers

Simon
  2. poch mahone Active Member

Scotland
    Hi Simon,

I've used it and wasn't that impressed with it. It's stickier to use than milliput and it dries a lot harder, making carving more difficult.

Brian.
  3. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Brian,

the reason I asked was I thought that it was cheaper to buy 500gm of that than the equivalent of milliput. I've just worked it out though & it aint!!

Simon
  4. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Simon

Go with Brian's advice definately. I agree. I got some and will probably only use on groundwork.

(I'll bag a bit off and let you try it for yourself if you're interested)

Rob
  5. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    That would save me buying a lemon!

Cheers

Simon
  6. MinasTirithGuard New Member

I prever Aves Apoxie Sculpt over other compounds. I used to use Magic Sculpt but my hands are really dry and crappy. The Magic formed this oily coating that stung really bad, the container dried out fast as well even though I keep the top on etc. I know a lot of guys who switched over to Aves and I recommend that one, I find it easier to work with as well. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I can't stand Milliput, you'll find a lot better things out there.
  7. Parkadge Member

Ireland
    Funny I prefer the Sylmasta A&B to milliput. I try to use it in an additive way so that I don't have too much carving to do. I've also had good results with it mixing in varying amounts of Duro. Is there a European or UK supplier for Aves?
  8. MinasTirithGuard New Member

I'm not sure about suppliers, I always bought it at the MMSI show from a vendor. I think you can buy it from their site if you search around a bit on the internet, or there's always tons of mail order companies. Seriously it's worth checking out.