1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

sword blade

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Luis R., Jan 22, 2004.

1. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Hi,
    I'm in the planning stage of a concersion project that will need a scratch built sabre blade, but i don't have the slightest idea of how to tackle it . So, any of you guys have a tip on that? I'm especially set back by modelling the grooves that run the lenght of the blade.
  2. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Hi,
    I'm in the planning stage of a concersion project that will need a scratch built sabre blade, but i don't have the slightest idea of how to tackle it . So, any of you guys have a tip on that? I'm especially set back by modelling the grooves that run the lenght of the blade.
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luis, You could use a piece of plastic strip stock. You could scribe or file the fuller (groove) onto the plastic.~Gary
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luis, You could use a piece of plastic strip stock. You could scribe or file the fuller (groove) onto the plastic.~Gary
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    great question!
    and a great challenge :)
    scale?
    my approach would be:
    Would it be better to bend than break?
    if bend, then i'd choose to work with white-metal, brass or copper
    if break, then an epoxy putty medium

modding a piece of white-metal would not be hard andwould yield a piece that could be flexible..
    making it of putty of course would make it brittle and prone to breaking..
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    great question!
    and a great challenge :)
    scale?
    my approach would be:
    Would it be better to bend than break?
    if bend, then i'd choose to work with white-metal, brass or copper
    if break, then an epoxy putty medium

modding a piece of white-metal would not be hard andwould yield a piece that could be flexible..
    making it of putty of course would make it brittle and prone to breaking..
  7. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Scale=90mm

The challenge is bigger than i thought as some research has revealed the sword i want to depict has TWO parallel fullers. Scribing and/or filing?...I think i won't be able to scribe/file two grooves per side and keep them parallel and consistent in depth and width.
  8. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Scale=90mm

The challenge is bigger than i thought as some research has revealed the sword i want to depict has TWO parallel fullers. Scribing and/or filing?...I think i won't be able to scribe/file two grooves per side and keep them parallel and consistent in depth and width.
  9. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    plastic is a good choice, of course scribe the lines first, then cut the blade out...

much easier to work scribing first :)
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    plastic is a good choice, of course scribe the lines first, then cut the blade out...

much easier to work scribing first :)
  11. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    If you're using putty I'd scribe a wider groove and then add the center thinner line later. Even on plastic for that matter
  12. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    If you're using putty I'd scribe a wider groove and then add the center thinner line later. Even on plastic for that matter
  13. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Luis,

Which ever method you choose, make your blade about 5-10 cm longer. The extra length will serve as a handle. You'll trim it away after the blade is finished.

Good luck! (y)

Quang
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Luis,

Which ever method you choose, make your blade about 5-10 cm longer. The extra length will serve as a handle. You'll trim it away after the blade is finished.

Good luck! (y)

Quang
  15. jasmils Active Member

Australia
    You could try talking to a company that has a Laser cutting machine. Some of the ones I've seen can cut and grove in plastic and soft metal. I dont know how much they would charge for some thing like this, but it maybe worth having a chat to them to see what the machine can do. If its not to pricey have a few made up.

Jason
  16. jasmils Active Member

Australia
    You could try talking to a company that has a Laser cutting machine. Some of the ones I've seen can cut and grove in plastic and soft metal. I dont know how much they would charge for some thing like this, but it maybe worth having a chat to them to see what the machine can do. If its not to pricey have a few made up.

Jason
  17. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Laser modelling!!! I like how it sounds
    If I do find a company that can do that for a reasonable price, I'll have to take care not to be attracted by the force's dark side :lol:
  18. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Laser modelling!!! I like how it sounds
    If I do find a company that can do that for a reasonable price, I'll have to take care not to be attracted by the force's dark side :lol:
  19. Richard E New Member

Hi Luis.

Depending on the scale, as this will only work at 90mm upwards. My method is to sculpt two halves of the blade on a piece of plastic card and then stick them together.

That way you can get grooves and filigrees to match.

Richard
  20. Richard E New Member

Hi Luis.

Depending on the scale, as this will only work at 90mm upwards. My method is to sculpt two halves of the blade on a piece of plastic card and then stick them together.

That way you can get grooves and filigrees to match.

Richard