1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Swedish Infantry 1709 Poltava

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Braemp, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Braemp Active Member

My latest Figure a swedish musketeer from dalregementet at the battle of poltava 1709. Scratch built with hornet head and a musket from historex. Build and paint articles published in the Swedish magazine Allt om hobby.
    I found it really Awarding and fun to make a figure from the great Nordic war and I will definitely make more from that period. Having painted figures in more modern uniforms the blue was a challenge, and I think try to get a more dark blue next time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347197997.724657.jpg

View attachment 103664

View attachment 103665

View attachment 103666

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347198040.809759.jpg

Regards /lars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DaddyO, jerry, pmfs and 14 others like this.
  2. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    Great work ! Looks like a Mike Blank work !!!

Laurent
  3. Braemp Active Member

Thank you Laurent, very kind of you. Mike Blank has indeed done some similar figures, and of course I have studied his works, but there's still many areas in figure sculpting and painting before I reach up to his masterclass level. But I wish I was as good as Mike :)
  4. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    great job, i like this Theme .

The pose is very dynamic and dramatic at the same time. The detail with the ramrod is awesome.

More please! Possibly even commercial?

Cheers

Hendryk
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I thought this whas a figure from Mike Blank.
    You have the same style....great.

Marc
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    WoW - pantastic!

Cheers
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Mr Brännström I presume?

I like the pose and stance a lot.
    Im not an expert in musqets from that era but it looks a bit plain?

I do like the recent scenes that you have at display at Wentzels as well.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work, thanks for posting.
    Carl.(y)
  9. Braemp Active Member

Thanks all.
    It's nice to be compared to Mike Blank since He is one of my role models when it comes to painting figures, I like his style and choices of color.

Janne: yes indeed it is me. :)
    regarding the musket, à Swedish model 1699, they where plain. Not much lull lull on them at all.

There are more Swedish objects in the pipe, Both more from the great Nordic war and from other periods as well. I keep on posting them.

Lars

10. Edward A Fixture

England
    Excellent figure!
  11. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    What colours do you use for the face ? I like it !

Again look really like a Mike Blank figure. Great work :)

Laurent
  12. Braemp Active Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment!

Colours used is the following from vallejo range: German camo black brown 70822, ( probably the most useful colour in the whole range) Dark red 70946, flat flesh 70955, Basic skintone 70815, light flesh 70928. Stains and dirt is burnt umber oil paint. I use oil paint for this since it can easily be washed away if something goes wrong. There is a little dob of blue in the eyes as well. I painted the face rather dark, and I was not all sure if it would look good, but in contrast with the blond hair and the dirt it came out pretty well in the end.

/Lars
  13. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Looks pretty good to me, I like it (y)!!

Joe
    Braemp likes this.
  14. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Lars,

I really enjoy your piece, fantastic details with a context. From what I see, three comments. The figure looks flat when viewed from the side. Secondly, I understand that the coat usually has broad sleeves. Thirdly, the material was heavy , and the wrinkling could represent this.
    I normally don't like to criticize or comment on other's work, but your pieces are very exciting and I look forward to more of them.

Rgds victor
    Braemp likes this.
  15. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Braemp likes this.
  16. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looks great. It turned out well.
  17. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    wow, this figure and paintjob looks awesome,great job!!
    Braemp likes this.
  18. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    WOW WOW !!!

Excellent !!

Alexandros
    Braemp likes this.
  19. Braemp Active Member

Thanks alot all for your comments. I Will keep you updated on My coming projects.

Victor you are absolutely right regarding the sleeves, there were however different styles on the uniforms, the one you are talking about where more common in the early period of the war but certainly not all gone by the time of the battle of Poltava. I am not sure what you mean by it looks flat from the side?
    I do see what you mean about the fabric and the folds, but when i studied The uniforms I found that heavy wearing and slitage made the fabric lighter and more flimsy.

Regards lars

20. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    This is very good
    Best
    Braemp likes this.