1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sutton Coldfield Model Show 9th September 2012

Discussion in 'Figure Shows, Workshops and Events' started by Jazz, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Just got back from the Sutton Coldfield model show situated at the Town Hall in Sutton Coldfield near Birmingham UK. A good time was had by all and it was really nice to see fellow planeteers there, including HouseCarl AKA Carl Barton, Series 7 AKA Carl Startin, and Napoleonpeart AKA Kevin Peart. These guys all went away with well deserved 1st prizes in the competition, preserving the good name of Planet Figure. Some really stunning figures and busts were on show from these guys, Housecarls superb Schindlers list group of black and white figures incorporating a little girl in a red dress was haunting to say the least. Carl Startin brought in two superb WW2 German scenes that were simply stunning to look at. We see pictures of them on this site but it is nothing compared to seeing them in the flesh. They are simply amazing and I wish this talented and very nice man all the best luck in the world for the upcoming Euro Militaire. Kevin Peart entered his heavily converted Southern Pride ACW bust and this deservingly took 1st prize in that category. Well done Kevin.
    Also there were the self confessed Waldorf & Stadtler of the modelling world, Norman Ottey and Roger Hartill. These two very talented veterans were not competing this year but they were always on hand to offer advice to the younger members and kept me laughing all day with their comical antics.
    The venue was large and spacious with two large rooms and two smaller ones used for display and trading. There was a smaller but still well sized competition room and the standard was really high this year with a good turnout of models from all categories. As always there were plenty of planes and cars but a good show of figures and busts this year too.
    Not too many figure traders this year but I did see Darius wedges for sale and Tommys War was also there. A good selection of Knight models were also on sale, so there was plenty of good stuff there for us figure modellers.
    The only issue I had was when entering pieces for the competition, the organisers had us filling out entry forms for each piece which seemed to take forever. I did mention to the organisers that it would be a good idea to advertise their show on Planet Figure and have a link to print off our own entry forms which we could complete before arrival at the show. This would make it run more smoothly and save the organisers on ink and paper. Whether they will do this next year remains to be seen. I also think that there should have been a distinction of classes between civilian and military figures. They were all grouped together and I personally think that a military figure will always win over a civilian one. But thats just my opinion.
    All in all a great show. Please enjoy the photos. The pics of people receiving their well deserved awards are Carl Barton, Kevin Peart and Carl Startin. Nice work Fellas. See you all again next year.

Attached Files:

• 001 (2).JPG
      001 (2).JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      2.3 MB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      2.2 MB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      2.3 MB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      2.4 MB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      3.3 MB
      Views:
    • 025.JPG
      025.JPG
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 031.JPG
      031.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 033.JPG
      033.JPG
      File size:
      751.4 KB
      Views:
    • 035.JPG
      035.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    It was great to see you again John.
    My photo looks quite complimentary, was it photo-shopped?;)
    There was some really nice stuff out, and congratulations to all that came away with something.
    Carl.(y)
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Thanks for the post ..a really enjoyable show , great company and good to meet everyone again , some cracking stuff in the comp ..well done to you John on you awards forgot to mention that eh and also to Carl B and Carl S really lovely stuff .

Regarding the photos , I am sure they have been photoshopped ...I look like a "top gun" pilot normally with golden locks flowing in the wind ...honest !!!!

What John hasn't mentioned was that I had my apron on for painting ...something the Messrs Otty and Hartill found rather comical ..especially when I mentioned the possibility of having nothing on under:eek: ....I did have :woot: !!!!!

I was actually booking for next years show in the one not really posed ..see I can write!!!

You raise a couple of good points ref registering for the comp and also separating Military and Civilian.

This is a really well organised show and gets folk into the swing for Euro .

Looking forward to next years show (8th Sept) ..hope to see you there .

Nap
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    Nice one folks, congrats to you all and cracking review Jazz, sadly a touch of Delhi belly stopped me going to this as it was just down the road from work :yuck:

Steve
  5. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    John great to meet you on Sunday and a nice write up from the event,many thanks ! : )

Who's idea was it to change the award presentations area ?! Had a game finding it LOL as no longer on the stage ...

Kev and Carl B ALLWAYS a pleasure gents ; )

Well done on the awards chaps !

Nice apron Kev : )

Carl
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Congratulations on the awards fella's, thanks for posting the phot's. (y)

Roger.
  7. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the comments guys. It was a pleasure to see you all there and I look forward to doing the same next year. Carl B, no photo shopping was necessary in the making of this picture. Kev, "Top Gun" with flowing golden locks eh? I would love to see you try squeezing into a cockpit! In that apron! Steve, Sorry to hear you couldnt make it. Hope to see you next year. Carl S, Really nice to meet you and a real pleasure admiring your work.
  8. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks Roger, you just beat me with your posting I think.
    billyturnip likes this.
  9. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    It was great to see all you guys on Sunday, plus all the other seven people and the dog that were there!

Well done to the two Carl's, deserved winners.