1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Surus

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by kilsh, Dec 30, 2018.

1. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi All

Just finished this.

Surus is believed to have been the lead elephant of the 37 which Hannibal crossed the alps with. Little is known of him apart from he had 1 tusk, the other was probably damaged and he probably wore red cloth and armour as the other elephants supposedly did. It is unsure whether he was a large Asian or an Africa elephant, although a coin of the time shows him as African his name may mean the Syrian which would point to him being Asian. Hannibal rode him after he lost his eye to get a better view of the battlefield and he was the longest living animal of the 37.

Given how many RP Carthaginian elephants seem to be in process at the moment I wanted to try and do something a little different with mine so I have built him as Surus, and depicted him as being African.

This is great kit, well sculpted and engineered and highly original, it was a pleasure to work on. Apart from cutting the tusk I replaced the spear shafts with brass and put a wire insert into the goad. I replaced the medallion with a scratchbuilt one and made the lamellar armour.

Richard at Oakwood kindly made me a bespoke base and the nameplate is from Name it. All in acrylics apart from the Mahouts flesh which is oil over acrylic.

I’m going to drop him off at FOTM also.

Hope you like him!

Happy New Year!

Neil 5FC2F09B-C54E-4742-809B-2B3285A7AA74.jpeg E53A23E8-AD26-44A4-9E06-58250C617AFA.jpeg 2B84A900-0322-41AE-805C-C8314CA42C76.jpeg 9D0C2FF6-D4FF-433F-8882-F0A814C8A075.jpeg C3EB6786-03E3-4D33-AC34-AC1A0912326D.jpeg BBDD78C4-AFEB-4DB7-8E83-813DCA62256F.jpeg 84A81B4E-C460-4AFD-9A76-9BB46D121486.jpeg 1993C98D-ABAA-4FCE-B47F-721FAED9D4E5.jpeg
    arj, Nap, HansDig and 12 others like this.
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful work

Mobo
    kilsh likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Excellent.
    Oda and kilsh like this.
  4. Cannonball A Fixture

Fantastic.
    kilsh likes this.
  5. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely bit of brushwork and I enjoyed the background story. Always interesting to get a personal insight into a figure and it also provides that extra bit of something . . .
    Congrats
    Paul
    Nap and kilsh like this.
  6. custer760 Well-Known Member

Brilliant,very very nice.
    Regards
    Pete
    kilsh likes this.
  7. Gooner Mike Active Member

excellent work
    kilsh likes this.
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent variation and well worth the effort.
    Cheers
    John
    kilsh likes this.
  9. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Beautiful work on a truly imaginative figure. (y)

Well done,
    Ken
    kilsh likes this.
  10. oierlings Active Member

Switzerland
    Fantastic Work and interesting mounting. I'm afraid to drill mine for a base mount socket, so this might be a good alternativ.
    Cheers
    Eric
    kilsh likes this.
  11. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful work, and great to see something different. The eyes are superb, you can sense the simultaneous fear and fury of the elephant..
    kilsh likes this.
  12. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Eric

If you do a similar mount to mine just check and re check your angles before drilling.

Regards

Neil
    oierlings likes this.
  13. oierlings Active Member

Switzerland
    Thanks Neil for your advice. Getting the angles right is quiet challenging to me with this pice.
    I'll try my best.
    Regards
    Eric
    kilsh likes this.
  14. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Eric

Just remember it’s up and to the left side and I’m sure you will be ok.
  15. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As others have said. Great background story, and very well painted and presented. Very well done, it’s impressive.

Mark.
    kilsh likes this.
  16. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for your kind comments Mobo, Bob, Paul, Cannonball, Pete, John, Mike, Pete, Mark and Ken

Thanks Henk

The eyes weren’t too tricky to paint as they are so big, the main issue I had was, how do elephants eyes work, I posted on PF and got some help which was great ie, how they move in the head. Not something you really think about I suppose until they are staring you in the face and you have a paintbrush in your hand!

He is on the Figure of the month page too.

Cheers

Neil
  17. Barrie Harris Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great workmanship , out standing painting .
    All round winner, love it(y)
    FAB is the word , well done. Pat on the back

Barrie(Newbee).
    kilsh likes this.
  18. Oda A Fixture

Absolutely stunning!

Oda.
    kilsh likes this.
  19. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Superb!
    kilsh likes this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neil

Happy new year mate

WOW !! That's a different take as well as a history lesson ...great stuff

Like the changes you have made , the armour is a nice touch ..how did you do this ?

The eyes are very nicely done as well ...shows real fear and terror

Cracking base from Richard Whatton at Oakwood as well ......what's the size of that ?

Good luck in FOTM

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    kilsh likes this.