1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Surfer Girl"

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by kaz6120, Jul 27, 2016.

1. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    I know this is not historical, not military, nor fantasy.
    But I'd like to have critiques and comments to broaden and improve my sculpting, I'd like to post.
    Any comments and critiques are welcome.

Attached Files:

TD2802, Martin64, Manfred and 6 others like this.
  2. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Love the 3D image. Would we see her in a bikini top or a scuba type top? Personally I'd like to see a bit more emotion in her face such as smile or something but that's my opinion for what it's worth. Nice work!
    If this went for sale commercially to me it would pose the 2 most difficult things for me to accomplish. Water and female flesh tones.

Thanks for posting!

Gary D
  3. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Good start and I think You got nice balance there. Also I like the face very much.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Certainly a challenging subject to tackle Kaz, both from a scultping and a painting aspect. Andrea put out a Surfer Girl not too long ago, and it was not was not (in my humble opinion) their finest hour.

- Steve
  5. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good so far.

Mike
  6. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks a lot for your constructive opinions, guys!

>Gary D
    Swim wears are not finished yet, so I haven't decided bikini top or scuba type.
    I think scuba type may be nicer, if it can be made into commercial.
    Painter can play around with his imagination. (logos, colors, etc)

I agree with you about her facial expression. I started sculpting her as a serious competition surfer, but may looks a bit ambiguous.

>Steve
    I didn't know Andrea had released exactly the same concept figure until you told me that.
    I googled it just now and their version is almost same pose as mine. (ouch!)

> Mike
    Thanks a lot for your comment!
  7. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Kaz, definitely go for the wet suit. Loads of scope for logos and patterns.
    There's even versions with camo patterning.
    Quite a challenge for the modeller to get the water right, could result in some spectacular pieces.
    Cheers
    Derek
    kaz6120 likes this.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very cool subject and sculpting!(y)

All the best,
    Dan
    kaz6120 likes this.
  9. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    Looking great Kaz, a real hotty!!! :love:
    some tips from my point of view, maybe the anatomy needs more tension, the leg muscles specialy, not sure about the hip position, should be more straight to keep the gravity center alingned?(I'm not a surfer lol), about the proportions the torso seems too long, the head small, maybe you can try a pose more dynamic with the board inclinate like turning the crest wawe ha!!!! keep the good man, cheers
    kaz6120 likes this.
  10. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    > Derek
    Thanks a lot for your comment, OK, I will go with the wet suit. :)

> Dan
    Thanks a lot for your compliments!

> Antonio
    Thanks for your straightforward critiques, I like that.
    About the dynamic pose, they are always in my mind, but maybe next time or future projects, I want to sculpt "very standard surf pose" here this time.

Thanks for your comments on torso, tension on legs, hip position. here's updated version, still WIP, 90% maybe.

Attached Files:

Martin64 and DEL like this.
  11. Jim Active Member

That's nice.
    If commercially produced, I'd probably be interested.
    If you go with the wetsuit, the more enterprising (like me!) could do a little sanding and putty work for a bikini.
    kaz6120 likes this.
  12. JackG Active Member

Canada
    This is looking very good.

Before critiquing, should point out that we are at a disadvantage as we don't know what references, or if even a live model is being used for this. So take it as a grain of salt as you could have everything right.

To me her face seems fairly young, but when looking at the third image, it seems like middle age spread is happening. Doesn't she seem a bit wide in the crotch? I suppose though, as they say, people come in all shapes and sizes.
    kaz6120 likes this.
  13. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Ok...

Thanks for your straightforward critiques.
    You know It's not always comfortable accepting other peoples' critiques, accepting everything will ruin my first passion and inspiration sometimes, but I always open to it.

About the reference, you can see it on the background. That's the base reference model, but she may look like around 30-35 to me, and I sculpted mine a younger look face, about early 20's or so.
    Also I used a lot of "surfing girl" pictures as references and mixed them. They are not always got super model fit. I didn't tried to add middle-aged spread around her torso, just added lower tummy a bit, because I can see it in most of the women have it even if they are young and slim.

But if it looks strange for her young face, I will fix it to make her look more fit as a young lady.

About her crotch.... Okay.... To tell the truth, I didn't think about around its width seriously, I only care about her spread legs for surf stance.

Thanks for your comment.
  14. JackG Active Member

Canada
    You are welcome, good to see you are open to constructive comments.

I've looked at some photos, and video clips as well - they can be a great source too. You appear to have the stance down nicely, with the standard placing of the lead foot one o'clock position and trailing foot at three o'clock. Look forward to more updates.
  15. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Here's updates...

Attached Files:

Martin64 and JackG like this.
  16. JackG Active Member

Canada
    I can see the difference, the area 'down under' looks much better. To make the change, did you just narrow her pelvic structure/proportions?

----------------------

edit to include an apology to you, Kaz.

I've erroneously used the term 'middle age spread' because I though it meant something else, so please ignore. Her tummy was fine, but if you are going with the wet suit, it would be proper to tighten the area up a bit (as you have already done). That apparel does tend to flatten and streamline the contours.
  17. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Yes I narrowed the under but also around pelvis area a little bit. So I needed to re-do the swim shorts too all over again, to adjust the body.