1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

super glue

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ronaldo, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Ronaldo A Fixture

Has it been dumbed down it won't even bond my fingers together , having great difficulty getting it to bond metal to metal
  2. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I think what we have here is the mistake of trying to glue your fingers together. Try Gorilla epoxy two part clear for metal; sets in 5 minutes if you can hold it that long unless it's pinned. I usually go into a deep meditative state while holding something together for five minutes. And then I have trouble opening my hands because of arthritis. Sometimes you have to sacrifice life and limb.
  3. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Super glue can be erratic.
    I recognise the scenario and keep Araldite Rapid on hand where needed.
    The gazing-into-space hold parts together is surpisingly awkward.
    Empty your bladder first.
    Nap and Wayneb like this.
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ive found that the cheapest (3 tubes for a quid) at our local shop works much better than the expensive stuff.....(y)
  5. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The short answer is yes they have...new regulations for 'domestic' adhesives were applied 3 years ago.
    If you want a good fast CA...look for the 'industrial' grades...such as.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30356785...GvYR80vp6SOvFg%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

I use both grades...with the gel being slower to activate...but stronger when dry...although a quick burst of 'activator' spray will create an instant bond.
    Used both on ali/copper/brass/steel/resin/white metal/plastics/wood/foam/balsa etc. all with no issues.

Ron C
    Blind Pew, DEL, DeanM and 2 others like this.
  6. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    David..... Meditation is more than just gazing into space thinking about nothing. It's more of a thought process of thinking about the piece you're working on and visualizing the finshed piece. Not the piece you had last night........ Now, did I make myself perfectly clear?

Wayne:)
    David Spencer and Nap like this.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I guess it depends on the brand and formula, and the country in which you find yourself. I don't think the brands of CA made and sold here in the US have changed. I've been using Bob Smith Industries products for years, and they seem the same today as when I first accidentally glued fingers together back around 1989 :D

Prost!
    Brad
  8. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The hard part is not tapping my feet to whatever is playing. Does no good for steadiness.
  9. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Then quit playing hillbilly music.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  10. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    There is no other!
  11. Ronaldo A Fixture

Thanks Ron ,managed to pickup some out of date stuff from my onetime base timber supplier for free and it works
  12. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    O
    Oh my god!!! Never listen to that.
  13. Ronaldo A Fixture

The guy gave it away saying it was duff but it was OK and better than the seven pound Gorilla shit that B&Q sold me
  14. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    You should have gone to the pound shop that,s where I get mine and I,ve never had any trouble
    Blind Pew likes this.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    You tappa you feet while painting....I breaka you face, and then you toes........I shitta you not!

Wayne:)
  16. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You beat me to it, Pete. I've been convinced for years that the Poundland and £6 Araldite two-part epoxy is the same stuff. I've compared the tubes, I also once (sad, I know) compared the instructions on the packet. The same, word for word.
    kagemusha likes this.
  17. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Except for very small parts I've gone away from using super glue. In my recent experience it is erratic. For most glue applications now I've switched to JB Qwik Weld, a 2-part epoxy that sets up in 5 minutes, a time not significantly different than the time I hold super glued parts together while it sets up. If you decide to try it be sure to get Qwik Weld and not Weld. Weld sets up overnite.
  18. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If I have to use superglue, then I normally choose Roket Cyno Gel which I source from Historex Agents in the UK.
    https://historexagents.com/#

Other than that, I use locally bought 2-part epoxy that sets in under 5-minutes. It provides a really strong bond - but tends to stink to high heaven for an hour or two until fully cured.
    The local superglue is pretty useless and only good for tacking parts together before backing up with gel or epoxy.
  19. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah, here in the US, Bob Smith Industries produces CA and epoxy glues, some sold under its own label, some sold under different retail labels, like the HobbyTown hobby shop chain. So you could buy a bottle of a specific brand's CA glue, but look at the label and see it was produced by BSI.

Prost!
    Brad
    Blind Pew likes this.