1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Suggestions for aircraft rigging?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by David Spencer, Jul 17, 2020.

1. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Everyone
    Now the latest figure project is completed, I am taking a break and then starting on a 1/72 WW1 sea plane, which means the dread subject of rigging cannot be avoided.
    Does anyone have a suggestion of which filament to use? I like the look of the fine, elasticated products on the market. They come in a range of lengths and diameters.
    Any prior experience?
    Suggestions & experiences appreciated.
    Thanks
    DS
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi David

Rigging . . . .ah! :)
    Yes mate I would recommend the elastic stuff (1 72 scale you're not going to be too worried about the streamlined RAF wires I hope?) I tried some recently on my Tatanka vignette for a bowstring and it works really well. Easy to tie a knot in which holds and it takes superglue as well so pretty much ideal (You can paint it in situ with a marker pen to get a silver finish if that appeals) I've a chum who rigs ships with the stuff and to be honest the very thin stuff is so scale you can barely see it.

I used the one by MIG, but it's quite pricey although it makes life a lot easier (y)

Cheers
    Paul
  3. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much!
  4. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Paul. Got .02 mm Mig thread. TOO THIN!!
    My mistake. But probably to scale. Will persevere.
    DaddyO likes this.
  5. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    20200727_191606.jpg
    Work in progress. Really a dress rehearsal for the Felixstowe flying boat ... which will probably drive me over the edge.
  6. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Those stands are Helping Hands rigged up for WW1 aircraft war gaming. Which is surprisingly good fun.
  7. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    20200729_201055.jpg
    AAARGH!! Put the floats on back to front!
    This thing is so fragile there is no way I am taking them off to correct that mistake.
    Needed family help to fit all 4 struts into the recesses - which hade to be made by me. A three-hands job for sure. Using loads of Milliput to fill the many gaps.
    Roden kits not scoring highly thus far.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Are you putting figures with this plane ?

Woukd definately have to sort those floats out ! ....not that I would ever do a planey thing

Nap
  9. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hmmm.. perhaps this isn't the place for me.
    Can't see anything that deletes my profile though.
    Please advise.
    Thanks
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Of course PF is the place for you David , anything with figures is very welcome

PM sent

Nap