1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Submit a Figure!"

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Dan Morton, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    SUBMIT A FIGURE!

Here's your opportunity to tell a sculptor / manufacturer about that figure that you'd like to see them produce! As you know, sculptors and figure makers read the planetFigure regularly. So why not use the forum to describe your figure idea. And if you see a figure idea that someone else has submitted, add a comment- pro or con. Who knows - maybe 50 people reading your figure idea would want to build and paint it, put in their comments supporting your idea and one of the manufacturers will make it!

Some simple rules to make this understandable. Make sure you specify all of the following - Scale size (120 mm, 1/32nd, etc.); Medium (lead, resin, etc.); Historical or Fantasy period/era (Korean War, Middle Earth, etc.); Preferred sculptor; & Preferred manufacturer. Your figure shouldn't be one that is "in progress" or known to be under consideration by a sculptor or maker. Give enough detail to make the scene, figure pose, etc., complete and clear. Post a small pic with your idea if you believe that would help.

Everybody's got opinions and ideas - let's hear 'em!
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    To give you an example (and because I'd really like to build and paint this!!) here's my first figure idea.

MONS 1914

Scale - 90 or 75 mm; Medium - resin; Historical period - early WWI. This would be a commemorative piece consisting of two figures that can be built either individually or together. Figure 1 - Mounted German cavalry with lance. Horse has been at full gallop, has just been reined in hard right by the rider and is struggling to stop. Rider is left handed and has the lance across both his body and the torso of the horse and is leaning forward half out of the saddle to plant the lance in the enemy rider's torso. Figure 2 - Mounted British cavalry with lance. Horse is being turned hard to the left. Rider is right handed and has brought the lance across somewhat in front of his horse to push the German lance away and defend himself. Both horses and riders have full campaign equipment. All packs, harness, weapons and as many uniform items as practical would be separate molded pieces requiring assembly. Figure bases should be built so that they can be joined up as one. One figure base should be Belgian cobbles with perhaps a road marker, the other should be low grass and roadside dirt.
  3. kidney stone kid New Member

I think that's a great idea!!! I'm not really a WW1 fan, but, this sounds so full of action! When do you plan on having it ready for production? How much will you charge for it? Are you sculpting it yourself? I'll be looking forward to this one, it sounds like a great idea!
  4. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    I have a suggestion...and yes, more ww2 german 1/35ths

1st - Oberleutnant, Panzergrenadier-bataillon 2106; Cologne, March 1945
    #1, colour plate F of Osprey's The German Army 1939-45 (5) The western front 43-45
    Soldier standing wearing panzer tunic and trousers in the reedgreen/late war green, with a ribbed turtleneck sweater underneath, looking to the right side in the picture, with a panzerfaust in that hand, and a pistol in the other. Tensed pose, but not an action one. Lace up boots, binoculars around neck and mapcase and holster on belt. various badges/medals on left breast, eastern front red and white campaign tab on jacket flap.
    Sculpted in resin, maybe by roger saunders (hornet/wolf), Taesung at Alpine, someone at warriors, or maybe someone at michael roberts?

There was another figure i always wanted to see, but never tried to go at it myself. I've seen a whole ton of great photos of chechen rebels in grozny..there's got to be something worth sculpting in there somewhere..

-Alex
  5. Pete_H New Member

Alex,
    Warriors released a set of Chechen rebels in 1/35 last year. You can find it at www.modelmecca.com .
  6. Pete_H New Member

IMHO, I would offer the following suggestion: character pieces depicting just about anybody from history (the more remote in history the better).

Okay, so what do I mean by this suggestion? Any person out of history that would offer the painter the motivation to do research on the person. This way, the painter would learn something about the person depicted, if not the historical period from which the subject was taken from. As for myself, my historical preference lies in World War II (gee, what a surprise!). Some of the more inconspicuous personalities I'd love to paint/do research on include: Major Mad Jack Churchill of the British Commandos; Sargeant Denver "Bull" Randleman of the US Airborne; LtCol. Johnny Frost of the British Airborne; LtCol. John Rudder or LtCol. William Darby of the US Army Rangers; LtCol. Robert Cole of the "Five-O-Deuce," Hauptsturmfuhrer Otto Skorzeny of the SS Special Forces; Capt. Herbert Sobel, 1Lt. Harry Welsh, Cpl. Donald Hoobler & Joe Liebgott, Sgt (T5) Eugene "Doc" Roe of "Easy Company" fame ... just to name a few ;)
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great idea! A take off on the rogues gallery, sort of.

From WWI (my period of interest) how about - (1) The eccentric Adj-Chef Mader, Lt. Col Rollet (actually a German by birth), decorated with the Legion d'Honneur for taking a German battery of six guns with just ten Legionnaires, and later called "the father of the French Foreign Legion" or (2) Gny. Sgt. Dan Daly, a two time Medal of Honor awardee (BEFORE WWI) and one of the Marines that led the attack at Belleau Wood with the rather famous cry, "Come on, you sonsabitches, you want to live forever?" For that he only got the DSC.
  8. Hullebullen New Member

The one thing that comes to my mind is 1/35 scale CT unit figures. The only ones that comes to my mind are the old Dragon SAS operation nimrod and Hong Kong special police kits. I think it would make a great figure subject (although it maybe a little too "mono-chromatic" for some, they do mostly wear black ;) )...
  9. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Just stumbled across this poll and I think it's a great idea.
    Here's my suggestion.....
    I'd love to see a resin bust, 200mm or 1/9th scale of John Wayne from his last movie "The Shootist". I've always thought that he never looked or acted a role any better than he did in this movie.
    Here's a picture that I think would look great as a bust but any shot wearing that hat and string tie would look good to me.
    Craig

Attached Files:

10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    ;) "Now lissen up pilgrim, cos' ahm only gonna say this once."

What a great idea! I'd buy one!!

Any manufacturers listening?
  11. quang Active Member

Belgium
    What d'you say? ;)
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    "...Birdie num num..." ???

What do you think about the Shootist figure idea?
  13. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Dan,

IF I have to sculpt a bust of John Wayne, it would be this particular pose with the hat and the string tie.

I concur with everything Craig said about the movie which can also be viewed as a testament for John Wayne's career.

My biggest problem is how should it fit in my work schedule? Que sera, sera. :lol:

Q. :)
  14. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    OK, while we're talking Western stuff here, I'll slip in my little contribution to this topic. ;)

I'd like a 120mm resin figure of some mean looking Old West desperado or outlaw type - the kind of guy that you'd expect to hang around in the brothels and saloons of Dodge City or Deadwood around ca. 1880. And I'd love to see him armed with a Winchester 1866 or 1873 !

Or else, a Klondiker anno 1900 (with Winchester carbine too of course!) would be nice too.

And then there's that other North American subject that I'd like to see one day - I guess I'll keep "looking North" for that one ! ;)
  15. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    I would like to have Mad max 120mm resin Figure or 200mm bust from the first movie , there's nothing out there for the man of the apocalypse .
    It could be done by Andrea , in the Bust series , or S&T Products , by our master Rosengrant .
    Regards
    Julian
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Again, all great stuff! I particularly like the Mad Max one!

This being an election year in the USA - How about a referendum
    on one of the next figures you're going to produce? What about it - Verlinden, Soldiers, Elite, Fusilier, Jon Smith Modellbau, Dragon, Nimrod, S & T, Michael Roberts, Model Cellar - any manufacturer 'up' for this?

Multiple choice? The manufacturer could submit five prospective figures, describe them and allow the Planet folks to vote. The one with the most votes by Planet members gets sculpted, etc.

Gordy - How would we do a one member:eek:ne vote thingie?
  17. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    Well, I would say for well known person from the battle of Brittain, Douglas bader, who flown the faboulos(sp) Spitfire with two legsproblem
    From the moviescene, well I'm a big fan of Lucy Lawless, playing Xena in the same named serie.
    Or Mel Gibson in his roll in the Movie "We were soldiers"
    Bert
  18. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    :eek:

... Oh come on !!! You gotta be kiddin there - wouldn't a figure of Hudson Leick as the unforgettable Callisto be a much better choice ?!? ;)
  19. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    Nope Johan, no kidding ;)
    I don't like the blonds so much, I prefer the dark hair types when I had the choice
    Bert :lol: :lol:
  20. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hmmm ... wouldn't you think, from a manufacturors point of view, that a Callisto figure would sell better ?

But if you'd insist on having one of the "good girls" in Xena, I'd settle for Renee O'Connor. ;)

Eddy Wally ?? Well now that he's been mentioned on Pf, He HAS indeed achieved international fame :lol: