1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Subjects you would like to see

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by kevininpdx, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Very poor by today's standards. If they were put out tomorrow nobody would want to know.

Exactly as you say, I'd like a set done today. There are one or two Chota Sahibs 54mm that look OK but they have to be in the hands of a very skilled painter. So I stay clear!:oops:
    kevininpdx likes this.
  2. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

A few months back somebody on the forum pointed out that some old Phoenix figures were still available from here :-

https://www.sanddmodels.co.uk/products_32.htm

I remember a classic piece of Tim Richards work called 'Telling it to the Marines' which it seems is still available.
    It's a rubbish picture alas but it might be both interesting and amusing to you.

b12.jpg

Mike
    kevininpdx likes this.
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium

Chotta Sahib (54mm)
    RW-DSC_0287.jpg
  4. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The problem with older figures, and some today, especially in the smaller scales, is producing weapons that are truly to scale. Most, like the lance above, are far too thick and bulky. The same is true of rigging on model ships. A 1" (25mm) thick rope or spear in 1/48 is 0.5mm thick, in 1/24 is 1 mm thick etc.

Mike
    kevininpdx and Blind Pew like this.
  5. Henkm Well-Known Member

You might add the thickness of cloth to that, same principle. Some of the cloaks on smaller figures look like planks.
    kevininpdx and Blind Pew like this.
  6. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    The talent of today , sorry past , sculptors and casters
    painted Humbrol in the 70ies, pictures are by design > 10x actual size
    a 54mm ( Sanderson one piece casting )

agrandi 05.jpg

A 75mm Hinchliffe, see the ripples on the eyelids,
    agrandi 02.jpg

75mm Hinchliffe, just a drum, the tensioners were part of the casting and they were gaps between tensioners and drum's body

agrandi 03.jpg

Indulge ... I'm almost a great-grandfather
    ;)
    kevininpdx likes this.
  7. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hinchliffe 75mm......painted November 1973 in oils. ( I was already earning a living in those days as an illustrator and artist, butstill relied heavily upon the generous advice from some of the best figure painters of the day )The point I want to make here is that forty-odd years on the quality of rhe figures AND our painting gets better...hopefully.

Attached Files:

• e1a.jpg
      e1a.jpg
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
    Airkid, Babelfish and kevininpdx like this.
  8. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Would definitely like to see more of these in 120mm-1/16..

If your after Argentinians from the Falklands war, check out a brand called Sicko Figures, i keep meaning to buy them but something else always pops up.

Are there any Argentinians members here who can advise the best place to source them from??

Amphibious Command.jpg Amphibious Vehicle Crew.jpg Commando (3).jpg Helicopter Pilot.jpg Infantryman Argentinian Army.jpg Lieutenant Roberto Estevez Commando.jpg Marine.jpg Pilot A4B Skyhawk.jpg Pilot Mirage.jpg Sargent Mario Cisneros, Commando.jpg Sargent Ramon Acosta Gendarmerie, Special Forces.jpg Tactical Diver.jpg Teniente Coronel Mohamed Ali Seineldin, Argentinian Army.jpg

Regards Ian
    kevininpdx and Babelfish like this.
  9. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    LOL. The “Dark Ages”.
  10. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    There seems to be a wide variety of English, French, and German soldiers from WW1. I'd like to see more American WW1 soldier figures.
  11. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow ... never heard of them before! A strange (and somewhat unfortunate) name for a company (in the English language anyway) but an interesting range.

Thanks for the heads-up Ian!

- Steve
    housecarl, kevininpdx and Woods457 like this.
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'd like to see more Seven Years War mounted cavalry figures in 54mm.

As for the classic figures from back in the day, I still buy them. I like them, and they are perfect for my gloss style. I buy Phoenix, Stadden, Imrie-Risley, Sanderson, but also Hecker & Goros, Puchala, and other obscure German makers' figures. For my SYW collection but also my "Kaiser's Army/Berlin 1910" collection.

Prost!
    Brad
    DaddyO, grenadier and kevininpdx like this.
  13. Chazman Active Member

United-States
    Pointing WW2 German SS, wearing various camouflage clothing. *

*Just kidding.
    Tony Dawe, Babelfish and kevininpdx like this.
  14. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Early-WW2 Polish & French troops, plus Korean War British infantry wearing battledress with 1944 Pattern webbing, Chindits & Australian infantry from the Kokoda Trail campaign.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Subjects I would like to see ; doesn't really matter to me as long as they are well sculpted by hand and quality cast in metal or both. I prefer 75mm metal as the resin in that scale is brittle. At least with metal you usually can get a few bends without breaking. Other then that, I'm open to quality in any subject. The only thing I don't like is anything that looks like a toy soldier. Dioramas mean nothing to me unless each individual figure is done well. O.K. that's as close as I can get to Subjects I'd like to see.

Wayne
    Babelfish and kevininpdx like this.
  16. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    Metal vs Resin is one topic I’m still undecided about. Once the work is done a metal figure pays off but I like the easy prep of resin. I’ve already learned some hard lessons of working with resin. Mainly breaks and over sanding. Not having to pin everything makes me lean towards resin though. I hate pinning. The odds of me screwing it up are high.
  17. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I actually like working with metal and pinning. It forces me to take my time and I enjoy the process of trying to get things just right. The one thing that pisses me off is when everything primed and I see a mold line that I missed; even worse after I've already started painting. I should also state that I am a slow painter so needless to say I don't knock pieces out like bagels. I do like resin busts though. Again, for me subjects don't matter....quality does.
  18. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    What about 120mm modern Italian or French

Smithy
  19. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    I recently saw a great b/w photo of a British Lance-Corporal from one of the Light Infantry regiments in Berlin in 1961 (caption stated it was taken the morning after the Berlin Wall went up), wearing very smart 1948-pattern battledress (which didn’t go out of Regular Army use until 1963) with their unique coloured badge backings & rank chevrons, & black lacquered Mk.III tin helmet with company insignia & regimental badge, ‘58 Pattern webbing & carrying an SLR & I thought that would make a fantastic 120mm figure or perhaps a bust.

That would be the sort of thing that would be right up Mr. Corry’s street. I’d buy that in a heartbeat, even though 75mm is the tallest I usually go for.
    kevininpdx likes this.
  20. JonH Active Member

The Indian mutiny/Sepoy uprising is an unrepresented area I think.Huge possibilities for interesting,varied figures.
    Jon.
    Chris Oldfield and kevininpdx like this.