1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Sturm Joe" 1st full male body

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by kaz6120, Dec 30, 2013.

1. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Hi all,

I wanted a little break from sculpting German M35 helmet and as I sculpted full female body "Sturm Jane", I sculpted my 1st full male body for armature study and general purpose usage.

I don't have skills and know-hows on making hardwares yet, I found a great download-free 3D data of WW2 German weapons (not sure it is available for commercial figures usage ), so as an importing test I imported MP40 and StG44 data (you can see in the last two pics) , just for fun.

Attached Files:

Gra30, Martin64 and Sturm Grenadier like this.
  2. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Kaz, A question, could you use a 3d scanner to achieve your different weapons, and equipment??? For example, if using a 1/16th weapon, couldn't that be scanned, and added to your program??? Regards, SG
  3. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    I'm not sure because I don't have a 3D scanner, but I think you can do it.
    but I think modelled weapons in 3d software by your own must have more detailed than scanned 1:16 ones.
    Gra30 likes this.
  4. mash3d Member

Depends on the 3d scanner. I have the Next Engine 3d scanner and 1/16th scale is really too small to scan and get good details from.
    1/6th scale models may work better but all scans need a huge amount of clean up. Oddly enough In the end it's just easier to make them from scratch.
    Some one might get better results with a program like auto desks 123 catch where you take a series of photo's of an object and then upload them to auto desk.
    It then stitches the objects together to create a 3d model. they still need clean up but might make a good 3d reference.
    kaz6120 likes this.
  5. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Looking great Kaz, as do your other sculpts.
    The way you have you have found your comfort with the software is outstanding and so quick.
    I think that was and is my fear, and the need for instant results, ie what I see before print.
    Keep going, a tech intro for me this year :) but don't forget the hand sculpting yet as I want another from you first :)
    Very best wishes
    Gra
    kaz6120 and MalcC like this.
  6. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    mash3d, Thanks for great info! maybe I'll give it a try on auto desk 123 when I have time.

Graham, thanks for you interested in my try on digis. Of course I don't forget about hand-made! :)

After playing with ZBrush about more than a month and I want to share my thoughts ( to all) . I don't think like "digital conquer the traditional" and I don't want to get involved in "digital vs traditional" war. Digital sculpting software, ZBrush, is just a tool, like putty and spatula.
    Films, cartoonists, Illustrators, photographers, musicians...all face the digital wall, and I think they got over it. After years they still need traditional skills in many ways.
    When I sculpt with ZBrush, I refer to traditional Andrew loomis books, Philip Faraut books, and traditional methods. Of course I refer to digital sculptors new methods too but computer or software itself doesn't sculpt for you. I love & need both of them, traditional and digital.
  7. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Martin64 likes this.