1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stripping with Dettol

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by chailey, Aug 23, 2016.

1. chailey Active Member

England
    Hi all,

I need to strip the paint from a large resin figure after making a pigs ear of it!
    The problem is that a large amount of reconstruction work was done during assembly and I'm rather concerned that Dettol may react badly with the dried milliput and the intricate resin details on the figure.
    Has anybody any bright ideas they may wish to share on the subject?

Steve
    peedee likes this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    It won't harm the detail at all mate, I don't know about the putty but I doubt it, why not test a small ball of it in a Dettol bath ?
    Steve
    chailey, theBaron and peedee like this.
  3. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    I've only used the dettol method once and it worked fine, just as long as you leave the figure soaking, I left my figure overnight with no harm to the detail....made the figure stink a bit though lol;)
    Cheers
    Jim
    peedee, chailey and napoleonpeart like this.
  4. mick3272 A Fixture

I have used it a number of times, the last being MMM Coldstreamer 1854 which Jimbo did some work on his arms for me . I dont know what he used but it did not have any adverse effect.

mick
    peedee and chailey like this.
  5. chailey Active Member

England
    Many thanks chaps,
    I think I'll take Steve's advice and test the filler before I commit myself to a full boy soak!
    peedee likes this.
  6. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi all,

Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of doing the same for a heavily converted figure of plastic and A&B putty.

I know that when I previously soaked a figure in Dettol converted with Duro, all the Duro putty came off.

Rgds Victor
    peedee likes this.
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    With 'Milliput', I think you are on safe ground. I have repeatedly stripped down figures using 'Cellulose Thinners', without adverse affect. So I cannot see Dettol having much of an impact.

Regards,

Mark.
    peedee likes this.
  8. chailey Active Member

England
    Footnote to the above, all ended well enough with the majority of the acrylic paint lifting off from the resin and the putty without too much difficulty,
    the only problem I encountered was removing some small bits and pieces that were embedded in the deep crevices but this has covered satisfactorily with a coat of primer.
    All good thanks.

Steve
    peedee likes this.
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dettol is great for stripping , the only drawback i have found is that it tends to loosen cyano glue; not a great problem as you can always stick it all back together .
  10. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Was wondering if Dettol can remove any car primer from resin figures? I had been using car primer on a couple of figures until noticing the gritty finish it's left especially on faces etc so I picked up some decent primer but wanted to know whether I could salvage the car primed guys?
    Cheers
    Chris.
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Would think so , certainly takes it off metal figures
    stoffy01 likes this.
  12. chailey Active Member

England
    If it's Halfords primer it works a treat, I never had any problems with it.
    stoffy01 likes this.
  13. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Anyone tell me where I can buy dettol? My local chemists looked bamboozled when I asked them if they sold it.
    Gells
  14. chailey Active Member

England
    are you in Scotland????...........do you not have Tesco's or Sainsburys up north?
    If not pm me and I'll happily send you a bottle.......

Steve
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tescos Grant .
    Are you going to scale Scotland on Sat , I will bring you a bottle as long as you promise not to drink it :D
    Gellso and chailey like this.
  16. chailey Active Member

England
    I've drank a lot worse Ron, some of those Scots whiskies can make yer toes curl!!!

Steve
  17. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Yeah mate, I'll meet you there. Dettol is less harmful than your usual tipple of Buckie I assume?

if you have any lying around can you bring me some bases for busts, roughly 6cm height 4 to 4.5 cm width? They don't need to be oiled but a plinth would be nice. I need one for Jon Snow if you have some wood from Castle Black.
    G
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Flat topped bases ok ? will bring a small selection . most of my wood comes from Paradise not castle Grey skull :rolleyes:
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom

You are drinking the wrong whiskey , stick to the Speyside single malts (n)
  20. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    I recently stripped a metal figure with milliput using Dettol soaked overnight. The stripped paint was a real gunky mess even clogging up the toothbrush that I was using to brush the paint off. Then I soaked the whole in a lacquer thinner bath. All that paint dissolved and following a couple more soaks, the figure came out clean as a whistle.

Cost of lacquer thinner was a fraction the cost of the Dettol. You can't use lacquer thinner on polystyrene figures.
    billyturnip likes this.