1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stripping Valejo off of resin?

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Adam Baker, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Adam Baker Member

United-States
    Working on Waffen SS figures, and I think that I need to strip the paint and start over. I know that Windex w/ Ammonia will strip Tamiya acrylics, will it do the same for Valejo?

I'm familiar w/ how to strip paint off of styrene, but I know that you have to be careful when stripping paints off of resin, so that you dont mess up the resin.
  2. tankman3rd4id Member

United-States
    Adam,
    i am not sure where your from but i use this product i get at wal-marts, or the dollar general. it is called purple power industerial cleaner/degreaser. i have placed several young miniature busts in it and they come out perfect. hardly any clean up. if you use dullcote to seal your models it takes a few more hours to cut through it to get it off. i hope this helps.
    RICK.
  3. Adam Baker Member

United-States
    I have an almost full gallon of Purple Power, I'll have to look into it. Do you leave them in for long? I was thinking that PP was one of the the things I'd read could damage resin, so I didnt want to use it.
  4. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Vallejo dissolves in rubbing alcohol 70% and more pretty well. That is what I use to stripp vallejo from anything. Nothing has ever got any damage.
  5. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I use Pine-Sol and with a little scrubbing it takes 99% of paint off (I use Vallejo and Reaper exclusively)
  6. tankman3rd4id Member

United-States
    Adam, i have never had any trouble with resin in the PP. I HAVE EVEN LEFT A FIGURE IN IT FOR A WEEK. LOL no trouble at all. heck i drop my airbrush in it as well with no trouble. and it does not smell and not messy.
    RICK.
  7. outrunthedogs Member

United-States
    +1 on rubbing alcohol (y)
  8. Pepperpot Active Member

Germany
    Rubbing alcohol or Revell airbrushcleaner are working good and are pretty fast.
  9. Hans Member

Germany
    A dish washer tablet will suffice. Solve it warm water (volume as required) and put the figure in for half an hour. Maybe it will need some cleaning with brush in the finest wrinkles. Dish washer tablets are alkaline and this will take any paint (Enamels, Oils, alcohol based acrylics, water based acrylics). And it will not harm the resin (or white metal).

H
  10. Adam Baker Member

United-States
    Thanks a ton guys for the tips. I'll start w/ the rubbing alcohol, got several bottles of it sitting on my desk, and then I'll try the purple power.

Not looking forward to restarting these figures again, but thankfully I'm not very far along, and I've repainted 'em a couple of times already, and dont want several layers of paint on them if I can help it. While painting the camouflage on them, I realized that my base color is too dark, so one of the other colors doesnt show up well enough on it.
  11. Pepperpot Active Member

Germany
    Just use an old toothbrush / old brush with bristles, you only need a few drops/ millilitres. It might be a good idea NOT to smoke while stripping the mini :)
    outrunthedogs likes this.
  12. Adam Baker Member

United-States
    Just thought I'd post up that I was able to get the figures stripped. I started off w/ putting both in 91% alcohol for about 24 hrs. It helped loosen up the paint, but didnt take it off completely. So I dunked them both in Purple Power for 24 hrs, and cleaned them both up just fine.
  13. Hans Member

Germany
    What's Purple Power? A Marvel character? :rolleyes: :) . All I can figure out that's a brand name for a complete series of products.
    Trust me, if you don't use a organic solvent, you need something alkaline for paint stripping. A dish washer tablet will do the job within 15 to 30 minutes.
  14. Adam Baker Member

United-States
  15. Hans Member

Germany
    That's what we in Germay call a "Kaltreiniger" (lit. cold cleaner) for degreasing. As nobody analize which sort of "grease" he wants to be cleaned off, it's usually a wild mixture of organic solvents, like naphta, cetones, tensides, acids or alkalines. Real alkaline cleaners works the best when beeing hot or warm, so they are not called "cold" cleaners. But they work fast, reliable, does not harm resins and can be dumped much more easily than those chemical mixtures.
    H.
  16. Pops Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Top tips all. Many thanks. Is this worth keeping as a 'permanent tip' somewhere?