1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

stripping the face

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by jim1215, Jul 22, 2014.

1. jim1215 Active Member

United-States
    Hello all, can someone tell me how to remove (strip) paint from the face, I like the work I've dine on the fabrics and such but I'm eorking with acrylics and want to remove the face paint I put on and also eyes and start over. Plesee help
  2. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim

What paint have you used, metal or resin kit, is the head attached to the body, what scale?

Cheers

Neil
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I use Fairy Power Spray (a lot). In the States I believe it's called Dawn Power Dissolver. It works a treat on acrylics and water mixable oils. Spray on, leave for 10-15 mins, scrub off with an old toothbrush and water, job's a good 'un. Paint gone and no damage to figure, I've used it on metal, resin and plastic with no ill effects.

You won't have the control needed to target the face straight from the nozzle so decant some into another vessel and then paint it on.

HTH

Billy :)
  4. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    I know this will sound odd but hot water and toothpaste on a kids toothbrush the mild abrasive of the toothpaste with the hot water softening the paint it might not take it back to bare but will remove enough to repaint the face without damaging the sculpt the kids toothbrush is only because it is small and able to get in to those smaller areas
    Regards
    Chris W
    Steve and Eludia like this.
  5. Ferris A Fixture

If you didn't paint the face with too thick coats, you could consider to simply paint over the old layer. Stripping only the face while keeping the rest of the figure safe will be very hard to do.
    If you do prefer stripping, you can use ear swaths with acrylic brush cleaner to get to the bigger parts. Nooks and crannies you could scrape off with a wooden toothpick, after soaking the paint with a bit of water or brush cleaner. I think these techniques are pretty 'targeted' and should prevent collateral damage if you work carefully.

Safest way is to remove the head first, if that is still possible.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    DEL likes this.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Mr Muscle oven cleaner works well on resin and metal but not on plastic. Be careful not to breathe the fumes and wash off with warm water and a scrubbing brush.
  7. Mark S Guest

I'd simply wash your face with soap and water and just be more careful not to wildly slap the paint around and get it on your face :yuck: next time.
    Cheers......:happy:
    Gellso, Snowy, Osebor and 2 others like this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  9. Graham A Fixture

England
    You could try airbrush cleaner or nail varnish remover and cotton buds but, as said above, cleaning the face without touching the body isn't easy when they are in one piece.
  10. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I went through the same process on a 1/20 Maschinen Krieger figure.

I messed up her left eye:

[IMG]

I'm using a combination of Andrea and craft store acrylics. So, when this happened, I used my usual paint stripper--SuperClean. I applied it carefully, using a paint brush, and in a couple of passes, I removed the paint, down to the primer:

[IMG]

As with so many other things in our hobby, patience was key. It took several passes, applying the stripper, and carefully wiping away the softened/dissolved paint with the brush. But I've gotten better with the patience thing these days. It's funny how good the School of Hard Knocks is, at driving a lesson home :D

Hope that helps, prosit!
    Brad
    Osebor, Eludia and Graham like this.
  11. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    Here comes the easiest solution of all! :)

If the miniature is not made of metal castings: simply use clothes bleach.

[IMG]

Your wife has this somewhere :happy: Pick a tupperware, fill it, put the figure and let it go overnight! By morning bleach is colored and figure is clean.

Note: Bleach etches metal alloys. In the case of metal alloys use oven cleaner. Again ask your beloved one where she has this:

[IMG]

and the procedure is the same: A tupperware, fill, dip, wait, and then repaint! :)

Use something wasteful first to get know how, and then use your beloved bust - at the second attempt everything gets better!
    Graham likes this.
  12. Mark S Guest

Well, I took your advice and sprayed my figure with my beloved one's cleaner and rubbed it all over my beloved's bust and all I got was a slap in the face.
  13. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I much prefer Barry Scotts' Clit Bang......:whistle:

Gells
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England

Oooooooh Gells you are a one !

Nap
  15. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Surely that's C I L I T BANG or are we into ?????