1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stripping paint & primer off resin figures

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by legend69, Mar 8, 2013.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :stop: Ooops I should have said I use it on white metal flats. :eek:

Roger.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Double Ooops, should've read the title too. It must be because I'm getting excited about going on leave and Sword & Lance is coming up and I was really responding to the fact that Mr Muscle isn't what it was.... honest. :oops:
  3. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I use Easy-Off oven cleaner. I'm not sure about Mr. Muscle.
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I can vouch for Ant's tip with the dettol, I have recently bought a 120mm mounted figure and horse that needed stripping. So last night put it in a big bowl with 50% dettol and 50% water and the paint is coming off a treat, I plan to leave it until tonight.
    cheers
    Richie
    legend69 likes this.
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I thought I would post a picture of the stripped horse and figure using dettol. Still need to scrub a few bit and remove a few super glue bits but it genuinely does work.
    cheers
    Richie(y)
    CIMG5570.JPG CIMG5597.JPG
    legend69 and Einion like this.
  6. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Pascal, To be honest I did not because the concencus was that it would damage the resin. I did not want to risk it.

Ant.
  7. Funky50 Guest

Acetone
  8. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    I hope the damage wasn't too bad, ever since I discovered Dettol does the job so easily I always have a bottle at the ready!
    Funky50 likes this.
  9. Funky50 Guest

When I first started figure painting I didn't have a clue what would strip paint from resin figures so used acetone I ruined a couple of really rare collect able figures by Mike French's zulu war range.....I could really kick my self now as they are rare as rocking horse poo now and fetch really high prices on eBay if they ever come up.....still live and learn as they say and always used oven cleaner afterwards but will definately give dettol a go
    legend69 likes this.
  10. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I used Acetone on a very expensive Resin Figure, completely melted the arms...........now use Fairy Power Spray but the Dettol seems like a good idea.

Keith
    legend69 likes this.