1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stripping paint & primer off resin figures

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by legend69, Mar 8, 2013.

1. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    I don't know if this is the correct forum to impart some knowledge...but here we go.

Started painting the Young miniatures Fallujah bust...half way through and after a spell of ZERO inspiration...I decided to start over. After reading ALL the available articles for stripping acrylic paints and primer off a resin figure...I started the long and arduous process. As I am located in Greece my options are limited. To cut a long story short:

Mr Muscle Oven cleaner - FAIL
    PineSol - NOT AVAILABLE IN EUROPE
    Castrol Super Clean - NOT AVAILABLE IN EUROPE
    Super Clean - NOT AVAILABLE IN EUROPE
    Mineral spirits - FAIL
    Rubbing Alcohol - FAIL

Dettol Liquid - UNEXPECTED SUCCESS

http://www.dettol.co.uk/products-for-your-family-first-aid-liquid

Let the figure soak for 30 minutes and rub, with a cloth or old tooth brush. Repeat a couple of times. Dettol is also the least toxic of the available options. The resin figure was not damaged in the least.

Hope this helps.

Ant
    Richie likes this.
  2. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Automotive brake fluid also works. I am using it to strip paint off of styrene plastic and have had great success.

Gary
    kaz6120 and legend69 like this.
  3. Knikki Member

United-Kingdom
    I have just used Fairy Power Spray on a resin figure. Took a couple of goes and accidently left it for more than 30 minutes but cleaned oil and automotive primer paint off a treat.
    legend69 likes this.
  4. pte1643 Active Member

Yup, as above.

Power Spray works really well... Removes Acrylics, Enamels, Oils, Halfords Primer etc.

For Best Results... Spray and cover (Cling Film or Tupperware bowl etc) then leave to soak for a bit.

Some little brushing with an old toothbrush is sometimes needed, but generally just rinses off under the tap.
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Ant. It is useful that a non-toxic option can do the job.

Surprised by this, given how many people use it when they need to strip. Can you describe what went wrong?

Isn't brake fluid very toxic though Gary? I was reading a thread on some other forum a couple of weeks back where someone was asking about it (for stripping some minis) and some of the regulars who didn't know it had this other use were horrified at the thought and strongly warned the questioner off it.

Einion
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    Unless you drink the brake fluid it's not THAT toxic as long as you are sensible with it, one problem you may have however is that it can sometimes leech into the actual material of the figure and gradually bleed through days or even weeks later thus ruining your paint job, that is why I would never use it I've seen it happen on cars that have been vandalised and the only recourse is to strip right down to bare metal and then use a special primer otherwise it will do it ad nauseum
    Steve
    Einion likes this.
  7. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Einion, I always soak my resin and styrene plastic parts using brake fluid in a disposable plastic container and I wear latex disposable gloves. After soaking for a few hours (sometimes overnight), the paint is easily brushed off using an old toothbrush. I'd suggest painting the handle or break it off so there is no fear of getting it mixed up with your good toothbrush! A fingernail brush would work just as well though. As for being toxic, there is a slight bad odour, but nothing major. If someone is concerned about it though, use a respirator mask just like you would for when you are sanding etc. Steve is correct as I googled brake fluid and on wikipedia the concern is focused on swallowing it more so than inhaling or ingesting it through your pores.
    Gary
    Einion likes this.
  8. Sleipnir New Member

9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'll second the question. Though I've switched to a de-greaser for stripping paint, I still will use oven cleaner at times, and I've never known it not to work. Sometimes it'll take a couple of passes, and I'll let the subject soak for a while, but eventually, it works.

Prost!
    Brad
  10. Einion Well-Known Member

I've had great success with it too; the first time I had to use it was stripping a metal figure for a repaint when acetone wouldn't budge the old acrylic paint (still not sure why) so needed something with more teeth and Mr. Muscle did the trick, took it right back to bare metal without much hassle.

It just occurred to me, there may now be more than one version of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner, with the newer type having no caustic soda.

Einion
    legend69 likes this.
  11. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    I just stripped a resin figure and what I used was Citristrip I got from my local Wallmart. It is strong enought to remove the paint and it does not effect the resin. Comes in a sray and in a small jug. I apply it with the spray first then when I am down to just the tough spots I apply the stripper from the jug (it is thicker). I scrub the model with an old toothbrush while wearing gloves and it usually come clean with little effort.
  12. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    I use an acetylene torch , then paint a modern art statue;)

No , oven cleaner works good for me
    Don't know what Power Spray is ?
  13. pte1643 Active Member

14. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  15. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    I tried the oven cleaner first as everyone recommended it, I though it would work. But after leaving the resin head in a foam of oven cleaner for over 24 hours, I cleaned it and tried it again for another 12 hours, I only managed to get off about 5% of the paint....didn't even make it to the primer (the label made it pretty clear that it was toxic! - although as you said the formula might have changed). But Dettol worked a charm...30 minutes and everything came off, with a bit of rubbing of course (not too treasonous however).
    Einion likes this.
  16. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Not a fan of the break fluid, but for those that use it...a safer and more environmentally way to get rid of it:

BRAKE FLUID
    Brake fluid is alcohol-based. It's toxic when ingested. When bleeding brakes, catch the runoff in a jar. Brake fluid from a jar that's been opened for more than a few months probably has absorbed enough water to reduce its boiling point past the point of safety. To dispose of new or unused brake fluid, pour it into a container of cat litter. The brake fluid will evaporate within a few days. As with paint, keep this away from pets and children, and any source of ignition.
    Einion likes this.
  17. m@rp Active Member

Belgium
    Did you try aceton?
    Pascal
  18. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Be careful with acetone. It will dry out and crack some resins, at worse soften and the part will break away in chunks. I have had this especially the harder resins that are more like porcelain, it may also be down to any fillers used with the resin that makes the breakdown worse but not sure of exact reasons it affects this type. You may also get a blooming or rather very Matt tooth like areas.
    Rubbing alcohol or IPA is good.
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    There has definitely been a change in Mr Muscle oven cleaner. I used to use it all the time with good results but the last time I tried it about five weeks ago it hardly removed any paint.
    Nitromors is what I use because it's... err... paint stripper.

Roger.
  20. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Nitromors on resin ?
    Good luck :)
    Funky50 likes this.