Stripping and re-painting figures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Normo, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys and Gals
    Having picking up a tip from a fellow club member at a recent meeting I have been experimenting with "stripping" favorite painted figures and re-painting 'em

This is the second I have done one of my all time favorites a resin figure a magnificent piece of scupturing by Nic Dransfield formerly with the now sadly defunct I and E miniatures

This 150mm Landsknecht figure is a real beauty the pose and expression are truly inspirational and a real painters piece

The first picure is the product I used to strip him a Fairy product called "Power Spray" an oven cleaning product

The rest of the pictures are before, during and after painting

I really rate this product as the time to strip figures is greatly reduced and I have used this on resin and metal with no obvious reaction to the material the figure is made from

Although not one of my best painted figures the figure is a real painters dream and if you come across one to buy snatch it up!

Cheers

John

Attached Files:

2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello John.
    I normally use Acetone to strip paint from my figures,not on resin since i learned it "eats the resin " a little:D.
    But i would like to try to use this product,i am sure there is something similar in the US.
    Take care.
    Daniel
  3. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi John
    How long do you leave it on for?
    Brian
  4. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Daniel
    Thanks for your comments, yes I hope you obtain something like this product in the States as it is quick and so far hasnt damaged any of my figures, what I like about this operation that you can go back to painting some of your favorites that are perhaps no longer available

Brian
    I usually leave it on for about 5/10 minutes and then get most of the old paint off with an old toothbrush

Then I gave it another spray and left it for about 10minutes before washing off the old paint etc

I found it works really well on metal figures as I stripped an old figure of Frederick of Swabia the 90mm which was at least 10 years old and it came up like new after just 10/15 minutes after spraying!

Unlike other oven cleaners you do not have to enclose it in a plastic bag as its more enviromentally made and its also not so rough on the hands, although the usual precautions still apply
    Give it a try

Cheers
    John
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks for the tips on stripping resin figures, just had to strip part of a figure I was working on after using matt varnish that went white.Tried a few different cleaning products including spray bleach but your method sounds a lot better.

David
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Thanks for the tip
    Have to look if we have something similar over here
  7. theseeker Member

United-States
    I just used Easy Off on the Crusaders face and viola! It works very well.
    Rocky
  8. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Rocky,thanx for the info,i have it,and i will use soon!!!:D
    Daniel
  9. theseeker Member

United-States
    Daniel,
    Please ventilate well and use gloves!
    Rocky