1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Streltsij Uniforms 17th Century

Discussion in 'Imperial Russian Empire' started by Martin Antonenko, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    The "typical" uniform of the Streltsij was a red Kaften with tresses on the chest and yellow (!) leather boots.

For this variant, I put together a small picture gallery for you.

Belonged to the equipment
    - a modern musket
    - a bandolier with the "12 apostles"
    - a powder bottle with "ignition herb"
    - an axe called Berdysh, which was also a weapon, badge of the Strelitz and "fork" for the musket
    - a Russian saber after Ottoman model ("Karabela") or - at times also a western-looking
    sword. Both variants are possible.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Concerning the uniform I restrict myself to the red (and typical!) variant ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

There were 14 regiments (in Russian "Polk"), which differed by the flag, the different colored caftans, caps and boots ...:

[IMG]

Note:
    Yellow, red and even green boots existed really!

At the Streltsij also served pikemen who had the task of protecting the shooters. They wore armor and helmets inspired by Spanish ...:

[IMG]

But they wre no Steltsij in the true sense was not! "Strelets" means "shooter" in Russian.

The Stektsij themselves occasionally wore helmets, which somehow remind me of modern "half-shells" of Harley drivers) - but that was rather rare ...:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Cheers
    Tom W. and Nap like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Excellent references

Particularly useful with the recent releases fom our Russian model companies

Thank you for taking the time

Nap
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  3. svt A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Only this is the 17th century, not the First World War.
    Nap likes this.